C.micropeltes Growth Rate....

Mentzer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Trying to guage C.micropeltes growth rate. I have kept many large cichlids, pleuro's and auranti's as well as H.wyckii and R.T.C. The RTC growth rate was almost linear, going from 8" to 31.5" in 14 months. It has been put to me that it is feasable for a micro to match - or even surpass this growth rate- to go from typical juvenile size (say, 6" to 30" in a year, then slow down - a little- from 30" upwards). Of course like anything it is dependant upon a myriad of factors being optimised to faciliate such growth. The main ones being;

1) Tank size and volume.
2) Temperature.
3) Type, turnover and volume (bio-mass) of filtration used.
4) Volume and frequency of water changes.
5) Quality, volume and frequency of feeding.
6) Optimum water quality perameters
(Ammonia-nil, Nitrate-nil, Nitrate nil-20ppm max, Oxygen - saturation / near saturation.

So what's the consensus guys? If these 6 principal items were optimised.
What growth rates have all you micro owners acheived?

phen_dox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
malaysia
my micropeltes growth rate from 6" to 16" only about 5 months.. :naughty: i only got one problem, i think my tank too small for giant snakehead.. about 1.5 ft X 3.5 ft.. :cry:

FisherCat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Canada,BC
Only had my 4 inch baby red for 3 weeks and he's already almost twice the size of his siblings left in the lfs. I think frequant feedings really affect the growth as he's feed every day & they are feed every 3 or so.

p.s. Heard they grow an inch for every kilo of fish,but don't know if its true.

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
after keeping many reds and many rtcs and tsn and rtc x tsn ,even with a 9ft tank with lots of feedings and twice weekly 50% water changes i can tell you for a fact that all the above catfish will vastly outgrow even the fastest growing micro , i have had micros that i would consider real fast growers and some that have just been plain normal , but none match that of the big cats, also when the micros reach a lenght of approx 12 inches they slow down a lot but the cats just keep on going .

put it this way i recently added a 2 inch rtc x tsn to my 9 ft that allready housed 3 5-6 inch micros that was approx 3months ago , last week the cat eat one of the micros ,and has been moved to my farthers tank so he doesnt eat the rest

cheers col

Phillis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
yea dude micros have a modertate to advance speed rate but no fish can match the growth speed of the RTC or RTC hyrbid they are just supernatural fish they will grow from 3in to 10 in 2-3months thats just crazy.... even if ure tank is smell and your planning on stunning the growth trust me thats just malarchy.. look in my gallery/photos the RTC i had was only 2weeks old and the hyrbid was only 1month and a half old.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
when i bought them at 1.5 inches,they grew about 2 - 3 inches per minth until about 6 inches.
then it was about 2 inches per month.
they normally slow down around 2 feet.
i just bought a "few" young ones and theyre going to outgrow the 15g very very soon. :D

'WartHog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
The Netherlands
I bought 2 red snakeheads 6 weeks ago boyh with a lenght among 7 inch. Now 6 weeks later one have a lenght of 12 inch and the other one a lenght of 13 inch.
I keep them together with two big cichlides a few small one's and two "multiple fin snakeheads". Contiounesly there are about 30 goldfish and roaches in the tank. So I have to feed only the roaches and goldfish. Also the small cichlides. The big cichlides and channa's are feeding therselves. The six weeks I own the Channa's I put about 30 goldfishes and 37 roaches with a length of 12 - 15 cm in the tank. In that time I had to take out of the tank 2 times a half roach, 2 times a roach without head. Everytime it was about a fish that had a lenght of 15cm or over. Further no special treatment, just normal filtering the water with an outside and an inside filtering pump. Tank 1mtr next week I will place a tank of 1.5mtr instead.

putra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
phen_dox;675033; said:
my micropeltes growth rate from 6" to 16" only about 5 months.. :naughty: i only got one problem, i think my tank too small for giant snakehead.. about 1.5 ft X 3.5 ft.. :cry:
this is awesome..
what a suprise when they do grow a little bit fast..
but my tank is also like yours..
i think it will not fit my marulioides in the next 5 month..hahaha...:D

Snakeheadred

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2020
Giggleinton
My stitch was few inch when I got him an he now starting to fly it's being half inch a week witch is decent rate to me he gits feed every day he on prawn an muscles but will introduce mil worms

junny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
ny
Trying to guage C.micropeltes growth rate. I have kept many large cichlids, pleuro's and auranti's as well as H.wyckii and R.T.C. The RTC growth rate was almost linear, going from 8" to 31.5" in 14 months. It has been put to me that it is feasable for a micro to match - or even surpass this growth rate- to go from typical juvenile size (say, 6" to 30" in a year, then slow down - a little- from 30" upwards). Of course like anything it is dependant upon a myriad of factors being optimised to faciliate such growth. The main ones being;

1) Tank size and volume.
2) Temperature.
3) Type, turnover and volume (bio-mass) of filtration used.
4) Volume and frequency of water changes.
5) Quality, volume and frequency of feeding.
6) Optimum water quality perameters
(Ammonia-nil, Nitrate-nil, Nitrate nil-20ppm max, Oxygen - saturation / near saturation.

if fed a high protein diet like market shrimp at a rate of as much as he could eat daily,there growth rate would match a rtc in length for the first year,i use to raise gaints 35 years ago in pools,they could go from 2 inch to 30 inches in a year if unlimited food was given

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store