CA pairs

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Just wondering what people have kept successfully, as pairs without dividers.

Let’s say for 40b, 75g or 125g footprints.

Experiences only please- no need for posturing.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I have had a pair of JD in a 75 for a few years with no major aggression problems. I have had carpintis and salvini kill their mates in the same size tanks even after several successful spawns. Just my opinion, but I think it is always kind of iffy with many CA.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I have had a pair of JD in a 75 for a few years with no major aggression problems. I have had carpintis and salvini kill their mates in the same size tanks even after several successful spawns. Just my opinion, but I think it is always kind of iffy with many CA.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah it certainly is iffy.
I think there are some species out that give you a better chance- with the correct footprint.
So I’m looking for a pattern.

Reactions: robham777

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In a 40 breeder, only Cryptoheros nanolueus, and Herotilapia multispinossa.
In a 75, long tem Cryptoheros myrnae, sajica, honduran red points, H nicaraguense, and some Gymnogeophagus. Temporarily H carpintus, and grammodes, but as soon as the males hit about 7", the females were goners.
In 125s, Chuco intermedia, Nandopsis teracanthus, and a few others that max out at bout 10".
In 150 gals, and larger haitiensus, P managuense, motaguense, and some mid growth Vieja (like breidhori fenestratus, and zonates, but about the time they grew lager than 12" (sometimes earlier), dividers were needed to keep females secure.
In all of the cases above there were successful spawns, some were eventually saved by dividers, many I didn't catch in time, and one member of the pair were killed, and eggs or fry destryed.
in 75s and 125s many African, and Malagasy cichlids did fine (although some of the larger oneslike buttikoferi and large Paretroplus, even larger than 150 gal tanks weren't enough).

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
In a 40 breeder, only Cryptoheros nanolueus, and Herotilapia multispinossa.
In a 75, long tem Cryptoheros myrnae, sajica, honduran red points, H nicaraguense, and some Gymnogeophagus. Temporarily H carpintus, and grammodes, but as soon as the males hit about 7", the females were goners.
In 125s, Chuco intermedia, Nandopsis teracanthus, and a few others that max out at bout 10".
In 150 gals, and larger haitiensus, P managuense, motaguense, and some mid growth Vieja (like breidhori fenestratus, and zonates, but about the time they grew lager than 12" (sometimes earlier), dividers were needed to keep females secure.
In all of the cases above there were successful spawns, some were eventually saved by dividers, many I didn't catch in time, and one member of the pair were killed, and eggs or fry destryed.
in 75s and 125s many African, and Malagasy cichlids did fine (although some of the larger oneslike buttikoferi and large Paretroplus, even larger than 150 gal tanks weren't enough).
Thanks Duane’s as always a well thought out reply.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Have bred convicts in a 12 gallon, 20 gallon, 30 gallon before. Never had a 40 breeder, but bred rams in a 45 gallon and a 20. I have a pair of crenicichla in a 90 gallon and although they do the dance, they have not bred. I haven't really tried to breed large cichlids, I always end up wanting some sort of community or colony in my larger tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store