CA/SA Profile thread.

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
JacobWhitley;4525525; said:
that pic is of a silver saum
Call the fish whatever you like, but regardless of it's fin trim coloration, it is the very same species. To quote The Cichlid Room Companion: "Although populations with exclusively white and orange margins, respectively, have also been observed, this is often a polymorphic character. Specimens with white, yellow, and orange margins occur in the same habitat (ie. Werner & Stawikowski, 1985). Additionally, such variation is also known from other Andinoacara."

Actually the common name silver saum orriginally refferred to the fish, now described as Andinoacara stalsbergi. A fish that is easily distinguished from the common greeen terror ( Andinoacara rivulatus) by it's much different reverse scale pattern.

Didgeridoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
ichthyoid.blog.com
I've seen a few tank fulls of wild Aequidens rivulatus from Ecuador, and both white and orange varieties are apparently collected from the same location. I can't remember the reasoning off hand. It was explained to me once. Just in addition to what "BC in SK" explained.

I've seen the true "Silver Saum" as well and like "BC in SK" explained, they're totally different.

Demonhorn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2007
CA
Scientific Name(s): Cichlasoma salvini, Cichlasoma tenue, Heros salvini, Heros triagramma

Common Name(s): Salvini Cichlid, Tricolor Cichlid, Yellowbelly Cichlid

Family: Cichlidae

Species Type: Central American Cichlids

Maximum Size: 6 inches

Life Span: 13 years
Tank: 55g

Natural Habitat: Central American lakes and rivers (Southern Mexico, Guatemala and Belize)
Temperature Range 73°F - 85°F
Temperment: What these cichlids lack in size they make up for in attitude. They can be quite aggressive and are territorial especially during spawning.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Bump for an awesome thread!

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
This is a great thread with compatibility, tank size, and aggression being exactly the info I needed.

Could some of the pics be updated though? A handful are broken.

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas
Thorichthys meeki

Common names:
Firemouth Cichlid

Family:
Cichlidae

Description:
The body of the Firemouth Cichlid is strongly compressed laterally with a sloping forehead. The color is is generally blue-gray with several black blotches and it has brown fins streaked with blue. They are named for the coloration on the under side of the mouth. It has a vivid red throat and belly, starting at the base of the tail and extending to the mouth. There are some coloration differences, but is dependent on each fishes place of origin. Male have a more pointed dorsal and anal fins and are more intensely colored, especially during breeding.

Distribution:
They are found in Central America; Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama.

Ecosystem:
They inhabit the middle and bottom areas of slow moving rivers, ponds, and canals with sandy or muddy bottoms. They stay close to vegetation near the shore where they feed on algae along with some meaty foods.Temperment:
Moderatly aggressive towards conspefics such as pearsei and vieja species.

Diet:
Since they are omnivorous the Firemouth Cichlid will generally eat all kinds of flake, fresh, and live foods. To keep a good balance give them a high quality flake food or pellet everyday. Feed brine shrimp (either live or frozen) or blood worms as a treat.

Ph:
6.5-8.0

Temperature:
24-28C (72-81F)

Hardness:
8-15 dH

Potential size:
15cm (6")

Water region:
These fish will swim in the middle and lower areas of the aquarium.

Sexing:
Nearly identical though sometimes the male has a more pointed dorsal and the anal fins are more intensely colored, especially during breeding.

Breeding:
The Firemouth Cichlids are egg layers. The female spawns 100-500 eggs on carefully cleaned rocks. The fry are protected in pits by both parents.

Availability:
The Firemouth Cichlid is readily available both online and in fish stores and will run about $10.00 - $20.00 USD.

Overall the Firemouth Cichlid is peaceful with tankmates except when breeding.

Picture 1: Full grown FM

Picture 2: Firemouth showing off bright red gill plates. Hence, "Firemouth."

Happy to help out MFK! :D

527783544OaIWFJ_fs.jpg

Thorichthys_meeki_4.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Krobia sp. xingu orange

Family: Cichlidae
Continent of origin: South America
Origin country: Brazil,
Origin: Xingu river, Brazil
Size: ~6”
Minimal tank Size: 30 gallons for one 55 for a pair
Temperature: 75 to 82 degrees
pH tolerance: 6,5 - 7,5
Water hardness tolerance: 5 - 12 °dKH
Life span: To ~10 years
Behavior: territorially aggressive/some conspecific aggression
Care level: Moderate
Feeding: Carnivorous

As opposed to writing a standard “technical” species profile I will convey my personal observations and experience keeping this fish.

These are one of the most beautiful Acaras in the hobby. Although not kept or seen as often as some of the others, once kept it is hard to imagine why they are not more popular. I purchased a group of 4 back in July 2010 at about 1” . They were grown out in a heavily planted 45 gal tank for about 2 months and then transferred to a 55 once they reached about 2” . They grew quickly on a diet of sprulina brine shrimp, blood worms, NLS 1mm Thera +A and skinned peas up to about 3” growth then slowed and they are now about 3.5” (March 2011). They are currently being kept in a 90 gallon community tank (7” GT, 3” Sajica, 7 Mollies and 4 2” Emerald Cories) showing no aggression other than the occasional territorial chase. They are completely plant safe and I have seen no sign of digging. These fish seem to mature very slowly as I have observed no signs of any serious breeding behavior. I have not been able to sex them however I believe I have at least one female judging from size and color alone.
I have noticed they have a wide range of color intensity depending on mood and you can watch them go from dark barred to a lighter cream colored base, with an intense interspersing of orange around the face and body, a white trim on the dorsal fin and iradescent blues on the pelvic and anal fins.
As far as feeding goes they’re currently being feed a diet of Hikari Carnivore Pellets, small earth worms, Krill and an occasional skinned pea. As they’ve grown I noticed they now prefer more meaty foods and have turned almost completely carnivorous.
As far as maintenance & tank set-up goes I do weekly 50%-60% water changes and vacuuming of the PFS substrate. My water is slightly soft with a Ph of ~6.8 I don’t test my water often. I keep the tank at 80 degrees, lighting is dim with two 20 watt bulbs one 10K and one 6.7K in a 30” fixture over the center of the tank leaving the corners darker with cover for them to establish territories. This set-up seems to keep them relaxed and they are often out in the center of the tank and retreat to the “safety” of the darker recesses only if they feel threatened. When I kept them in a brighter tank they seemed to be shier and did not come out as often.
These are one of my favorite fish, with their amazing colors and interesting behavior. I recommend them to anyone looking for a great community cichlid. I do suggest keeping more than one although as stated they do show some slight occasional conspecific aggression they seem to enjoy the company of there own species or at least like knowing there is another one around. I can’t offer any information on breeding behavior but hopefully will in the future.

Young Krobia.JPG

Krobia face.JPG

Krobia & Java fern.JPG

023[2].JPG

Red Devil Horde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
Bump!
What a great thread, it's like 1 stop shopping.
Everything I need to know in one thread.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
:headbang2

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Bump!
What a great thread, it's like 1 stop shopping.
Everything I need to know in one thread.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
:headbang2
Thanks for reading!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store