Calcium Content in Water

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Hey All!

I have been having problems getting successful hatch rates from my Angels.

After 4 spawns I am currently raising 7 fry. This was accomplished by moving the eggs to a 80% distilled setup shortly after hatching. However I am finding that the window the eggs can be in the hard water before switching to the low ppm tank is quite narrow. Last round was over 10hrs with 0% success.

I believe I have narrowed the issue down to the calcium content in my water source, which I know is incredibly high. Supposedly the eggs will not "harden" with the excess calcium in the water, says a simple google search, I believe this is similar to discus but have zero experience there.

I am curious if anyone knows off hand how low the calcium in the water needs to be for viable eggs? And does anyone recommend one calcium testing method over another, if so why?

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Bump

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
The GH test kit will pick up calcium and magnesium which are the main components in GH. But that will not tell you what level of calcium you have. For the most part only SW tanks need to be tested for calcium so most kits are for SW. I did find these, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy of either:
https://www.amazon.com/Nutrafin-Calcium-Test-Fresh-Saltwater/dp/B0002568F4
https://www.marinedepot.com/salifert-calcium-test-kit

I keep altum angels and I use ro/di water. My tap is pH 7.0 and the TDS is in the low 80s. I rarely use the GH or KH kits as I prefer my TDS meters. The altum tank has a continuous monitor for TDS/Temp/pH.

My mix is 11/9, RO/DI to tap. I am shooting for TDS in the 50s to low 60s ppm and a pH of 6.0. This requires reliqious weekly water changes with the new water mixed to return the tank to the desired levels.

Reactions: tlindsey and Raka

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Thank you!

This at least gives me a starting point.

I posted the question in local clubs and got that it was diet based but after 2 total fails with a new diet I am convinced the hardness is the issue at this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store