Calcium Montmorillonite Clay

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
anyone using it for their fishes.

I was recommended by a ray breeder and has been using it for about 1yrs+. About once a month

i also noticed that NLS uses bentonite clay (supposedly just another name for montmorillonite clay) in some of their pellets

https://allnaturalpetcare.com/blog/...tmorillonite-clay-for-pond-and-aquarium-fish/

Scientific studies for aquaculture have supported these claims, reporting:

• Improved digestion and nutrient absorption
  • Support of intestinal microflora
  • Anti-bacterial activity in vivo
  • Larger fish when Montmorillonite Clay is supplemented, even when fed less food
  • A study by the Yobe State Aquaculture college concluded that Montmorillonite clay can completely replace a mineral/vitamin premix in catfish fingerling diets with no adverse effect on growth. The substitution also improved skin quality of the test subjects after only three weeks of feeding.
  • Organs are protected from heavy metal damage
  • Protection from Mycotoxin and other toxins

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I used to use it in gel food for my cichlids about once or twice a month for about year. I didn't notice any difference when I stopped using it.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I used to use it in gel food for my cichlids about once or twice a month for about year. I didn't notice any difference when I stopped using it.
Thanks.. not sure is it placebo but the breeder told me his Rays get to massive size because of it

For me, I also do not notice any distinct difference but then... it does not seems measurable at all in the first place unless comparison is done

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
but the breeder told me his Rays get to massive size because of it

I think that the breeder is seeing what he wants to see.

Dainichi was the first commercial food manufacturer to use clay in their food, which was the result of them having a koi background. This logic or theory originates with mud/clay bottomed Koi ponds in Japan, and the belief by many Koi breeders that mud lined ponds produce better Koi than cement ponds. This logic is based on the belief that the natural mineral content found in mud enhances the fishes color & overall health, as do the natural feedstuffs found in a mud bottomed pond. With the fish feed costing over half the total costs of running a Koi farm, this would also translate into overall operation savings, especially if organic & inorganic fertilisers are added to the pond (such a bird droppings) to maximize the natural feedstuffs found in the pond.

I don't believe that the idea of the adsorption properties of clay ever played into this concept in the early days of breeding Koi, but is more of a recent event since the promotion & sale of this clay by health gurus over the past 30 years or so.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I think that the breeder is seeing what he wants to see.

Dainichi was the first commercial food manufacturer to use clay in their food, which was the result of them having a koi background. This logic or theory originates with mud/clay bottomed Koi ponds in Japan, and the belief by many Koi breeders that mud lined ponds produce better Koi than cement ponds. This logic is based on the belief that the natural mineral content found in mud enhances the fishes color & overall health, as do the natural feedstuffs found in a mud bottomed pond. With the fish feed costing over half the total costs of running a Koi farm, this would also translate into overall operation savings, especially if organic & inorganic fertilisers are added to the pond (such a bird droppings) to maximize the natural feedstuffs found in the pond.

I don't believe that the idea of the adsorption properties of clay ever played into this concept in the early days of breeding Koi, but is more of a recent event since the promotion & sale of this clay by health gurus over the past 30 years or so.
the website i attached in the first post has indicated there are scientific studies done with proven results... but was wondering if there are any real case studies in MFK... but looks like not many people are using it.... maybe only Rocksor and me

can't find any studies on google that says otherwise.... so far all websites says it is beneficial

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, I saw that. This isn't exactly a new subject to me. But proven results can mean various things, among hobbyists, and commercial growers. (fish farms)

Such as;
A study by the Yobe State Aquaculture college concluded that Montmorillonite clay can completely replace a mineral/vitamin premix in catfish fingerling diets with no adverse effect on growth.
And from that one should conclude what exactly? If growth isn't impeded within a short test study period, that other health factors that a young fish may benefit from via a quality vitamin/mineral premix, should not be considered? WTF?

It's just clay, it doesn't provide vitamin E, or C, or A, etc, and while it may have some health beneifts let's not get carried away. lol

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah, I saw that. This isn't exactly a new subject to me. But proven results can mean various things, among hobbyists, and commercial growers. (fish farms)

Such as;

And from that one should conclude what exactly? If growth isn't impeded within a short test study period, that other health factors that a young fish may benefit from via a quality vitamin/mineral premix, should not be considered? WTF?

It's just clay, it doesn't provide vitamin E, or C, or A, etc, and while it may have some health beneifts let's not get carried away. lol
that's why i asking for actual users to see if there is any feedback as it is portray like a super powder lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store