california voters-Proposed ban on fish in California??

Acer

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Canada
Mr Pleco;1730373; said:
I'm not freaking, it's just that cali is the edge of lunacy when it comes to politics..Then once legislation is passed their slanted "big brother" ideas worm there way eastward like an invading cancer.:naughty: This post was more for exchanging information as I wanted to hear opinions from our cali forum members .
I don't know if I'd consider it a 'big brother' move... what does the state gain by banning these fish? How would the ban infringe on your rights?

The bans may be too general and far-sweeping, but on the other hand, if you put it in the hands of a MFK they would say "don't ban anything!!!" and the threat of invasive species entering the waterways may be higher.

I don't think the state is out to get you, I think that the people behind it are thinking "What foreign species could thrive here and pose a threat?", and the whole aquarium thing is secondary.

A ban doesn't mean anything if it doesn't have any bite to it (i.e. enforcement) anyways. In reality, I doubt a ban like this will prevent the invasion of unwanted species, but you have to have legislature of this manner, regardless.

You gotta look at the various sides. Just because it may affect you as a fishkeeper doesn't mean it is bad and evil and against you. Although rare, sometime legislature has some reasoning behind it ;)

dreamandscheme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
north bay
for some reason everybody thinks california is a paradise where its sunny and nice all the time and any fish will survive and flourish. and its this that fuels the histeria that is the "illegal fish" list.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
THATS ALMOST THE SAME AS ARIZONA!!!!

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
hmmm, I didn't know snakeheads were livebearers

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I wouldn't complain to be honest. Truth of the matter is, if hobbyists were responsible there wouldn't be a need to ban any fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store