Callamus Worms?

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
I just moved the fish from my 125 to a 180 that I just finished setting up and noticed something today. My yellow acara has a small reddish colored thread hanging from his butt. Since I added him to the tank he's always stayed close to my electric blue acara. They swim together but have never bred. I've had the eb for at least a year and she's grown a little but has almost always looked weak and small. She stops eating for short periods of time and then starts again. I have quarantined her on and off to try different methods of treatment but she never looks better or worse. I began thinkin that maybe she was just the runt or did not have good genes. The yellow acara was added just a few months ago and looks fuller, always eats and is active. Everyone else in the tank is active and eating normally. The "string" (or worm) that I saw today was not moving. I'm suspecting camallanus worms and I have some levamisole on hand if need be. I'm assuming I need to treat the whole tank to be safe this time instead of removing the afflicted fish.
Can anyone confirm that this is what I'm seeing?
What is the exact dosage and length of time for treatment?
2017-09-16 21.34.57.jpg 2017-09-16 21.36.36.jpg 2017-09-16 21.36.12.jpg 2017-09-16 21.35.31.jpg

Last edited:

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
**CAMALLANUS WORMS?**

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
I treated the tank and then did a very large water change after 3 days. During the treatment everyone stopped eating on day 2 and there was a lot of white stringy poop. I didn't see any reddish colored worms but there were white "strings" (worms?) everywhere.
I ended up losing 2 of my one spot barbs last night. They hadn't had time to adjust to the new tank and then I treated for the worms. I noticed yesterday that 1 of the barbs had the "pinecone" look and what looked like a bloody vent. I removed him and then found his schoolmate to be in the same condition. Neither one of them lasted the night. Idk if it was an intestinal compaction from the passing worms or the adjustment from the new tank (probably both).
The rest of the tank has been kind of hanging around the bottom and not eating well. They're doing a lot of eating and spitting out of their pellets. I did another large water change after removing the sick fish. I hope they can pull through

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
How much levamisole did you use? If I remember correctly approximately 1/4 teaspoon of pure Levamisole HCI powder treats ~75 gallons.

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
How much levamisole did you use? If I remember correctly approximately 1/4 teaspoon of pure Levamisole HCI powder treats ~75 gallons.
I followed some outdated dosing info and waaaaaaaay overdosed. I did about 2 tsp.

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I remember some dosing info claiming 13 ppm (I think) is the killing dose? When I had an outbreak of callamanus used around 2-3 ppm.

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
I remember some dosing info claiming 13 ppm (I think) is the killing dose? When I had an outbreak of callamanus used around 2-3 ppm.
How does that convert to teaspoons? There was quite of bit of different dosing info online and I didn't want to underdose.

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
That's really helpful. Im going to save the info. Did the 2ppm work for your outbreak?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store