Calophysus macropterus in community tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Can anyone share their experiences with a macropterus in a community ? What size tank ? What other cats were kept with them ?

From what ive read/heard they are pretty laid back but would appreciate some first hand accounts

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Give some time. People here are slow
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter wednesday13 wednesday13

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think I have already provided my answers and links to relevant threads in other threads. Should I repeat them here?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No absolutely no need i was just curious if anyone kept them in the sized aquarium im planning. I over analyze things i know lol

I think I have already provided my answers and links to relevant threads in other threads. Should I repeat them here?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
V victor448 keeps one adult, I forget the tank size, used to be 180 gal, probably much bigger now. But his is solo.

victor448

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
florida
IME I would not trust a Vulture Cat in a community situation unless it was in a very large aquarium. A friend of mine had one in a 180 with a 20 inch Datnoid, large cichlid and a bolt cat about the same size as the vulture. The large cichlid had its abdomen torn open and the Bolt cat was cut in half approx 3 weeks after the vulture was introduced. Of course I am sure there are exceptions.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx for the input. Was the killer vulture always aggressive or did it get more aggro as it matured ?

Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis are yours the only cats in the tank ?
IME I would not trust a Vulture Cat in a community situation unless it was in a very large aquarium. A friend of mine had one in a 180 with a 20 inch Datnoid, large cichlid and a bolt cat about the same size as the vulture. The large cichlid had its abdomen torn open and the Bolt cat was cut in half approx 3 weeks after the vulture was introduced. Of course I am sure there are exceptions.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thx for the input. Was the killer vulture always aggressive or did it get more aggro as it matured ?

Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis are yours the only cats in the tank ?
Mine are the only cats in the tank. They share the tank with my three fire eels. It's surprising how much the fire eels swim all over them sometimes, especially during feeding, but the cats are not at all aggressive towards them.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's disturbing new info. Many thanks for chiming in, Jeff. IDK if you know it or not, but I found at least half a dozen of fish dead in my 4500 gal with no sign of struggle, not so much as a scratch, but with their tummy completely surgically removed with precise bites. I always thought my vultures have done it post mortum. With your new info, my surety lessens.

Examples, including before and after:

Wels, dead 3.JPG Aluminum and others.jpg Aluminum catfish, mangled rescue dead.JPG Cichlid, pike dead.JPG Pike cichlid from Wes.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store