Calvus Cichlid (help)

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
This isn't typical behavior and is a common symptom of a swim bladder disorder. Some fish are more snsative than others. The acclamation is important, slowly balancing temperature, pH, hardness, nitrate levels etc. Try a thirty minute bath in a bucket of tank water with a teaspoon of methylene blue. If it is an SB issue this would help, it won't hurt either way.
I live in Aus and limited to certain medication. Would epsom salt help? He is eating n swimming but most times..head down...anything i can do to cure his issue?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Calvus is the cichlid equivalent of a leaf fish, and sometimes mimics a leaf floating thru water if it doesn't have enough places to hide.
If it seems otherwise healthy its environment, this is not that out of the norm.
It also likes narrow rock and cave openings to fit in, and stay near in case of danger.
I suggest you watch a National Geographic special that shows a calvus evading an otter, I believe its called Jewels of the Rift.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree with Duane. Fish from the Altolamprologus genus tend to behave (swim & hunt food) in this manner. Your fish is most likely just fine.

GrindeL89

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
St.Catharines
Some fish stare at there reflection and even attack it especially during the 1st couple of weeks. As long as he is eating and looks ok I wouldn't worry.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
He looks fine to me, it is a submissive posture most will do. They take longer than most to settle in, and his tank mates probably aren't helping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store