Camallanus worms, need very specific help

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
So here's the story.
My most recent batch of fish was four red eye tetras (to fill in the school I already had at home), four white medakas, and five emerald eye rasboras (also to fill in my school at home)
They were all netted at the store in that order, and I believe it was with the same net. This is important for later.
So I get home, decide to do water changes, I do my killifish and rams first, then my guppies
as I'm filling up the guppy tank I put the medakas in. Then I do waterchanges on my platinum HRP's tank, then the mosquitofish/convicts, my neolamp.cygnus tank, then my 29 (which has the tetras and my esmeraldas gold acara.)
Once I finished I noticed one of the medakas had a clear mass hanging out of its vent, and upon closer inspection there were a couple of camallanus worms hanging out of it. I had dealt with these things before, and I knew that once they were visible like that, that's their reproductive stage (where they're spewing out spores). In the 15 minutes I spent filling up the tank with the aqueon hose that was all time spores could have been released and swirled around the tank, subsequently getting picked up and spread to the tanks I cleaned after the guppy tank.
I put my new guppies in the ram tank, but as I stated before, they were netted after the medakas at the store, meaning, they most likely picked up spores from the medaka tank water. Same goes for the rasboras, which went to the display tank in my bedroom.
I dosed with levamisole, did the first round of treatment, but now that I've learned some things about the reproduction of the worms and the way levamisole works, I have some questions.
The original visibly infected fish was euthanized upon me noticing its infection, so there would not have been any more spores released after that.
1. I understand that levamisole is not an ovicide, meaning it would not have killed any of the eggs released by the worms in the infected fish. Does that mean the first round of treatment (with the whole wait 3-5 days for the meds to work and drain the tank completely) was all for nothing? None of the fish (to my understanding) would have had adult worms in them, unless they were previously infected at the store.
2. Since none of my fish had worms at the adult egg releasing stage, do I need to do the normal second round of treatment? The second round of the levamisole treatment is supposed to kill hatched eggs left over from the last treatment.
3. leading off of #1, since it isn't an ovicide, and since the original dose was done the day spores were released into my tank, does this mean that the eggs would then hatch next week or the following week? subsequently meaning I ultimately do need to do a second round of treatment, or even a third?
4. for the tanks that have sand, how thorough do I need to clean them out? I did as close to 100% waterchanges as I could, but since it's sand I didn't siphon the substrate (because I don't want play sand getting sucked out and drained into my sink)
I'm guessing since again, the medication is not an ovicide, any eggs would not have been killed in the first treatment and should now be hatching.
5. I read that the worms only release dozens of spores daily, so does this decrease my chances that the spores actually got into my other tanks within 20 minutes? knowing how easily it spreads I doubt it would make any difference.
I will be doing my second round of treatment on Friday, and I needed help fitting some of the new information into my treatment. This isn't the same "fish develop the worms over a few weeks, treat when I start seeing worms/everything is infected with adult worms" where I'd do the first treatment to kill adult worms and then second to kill their leftover offspring. Hence why I needed specific help.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
duanes duanes , you were a microbiologist right? do you have any input on this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
Female worms come out of the anus to give birth, but they can also retract inside the fish. So just because you didn't see worms protuding from the other fish, I wouldn't say it's safe to assume that they didn't have any female adults inside them. Pet stores are not very careful about not spreading pathogens from one tank to another, so I would suspect any fish from that store could potentially be infected. And there's another reason why I would recommend dosing the tank more than once, and perhaps even with a different de-wormer: over the years, many strains of worms have grown resistant to de-wormers such as levamisole. It's pretty common to see some camallanus surviving the first and the second dose, and then you have to use another de-wormer like fenbendazole to get rid of the remaining ones. They are tough little worms.

Here's something that might interest you. In this video, the camallanus worm was taken from a dead fish after treatment with levamisole. As you can see, the adult worm seems to have been paralyzed by the levamisole, but the larvae (not eggs) inside it were not.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
The original visibly infected fish was euthanized upon me noticing its infection, so there would not have been any more spores released after that.
Worms don't reproduce via spores.

Euthanizing fish with Camallanus is completely unnecessary.

And there's another reason why I would recommend dosing the tank more than once, and perhaps even with a different de-wormer: over the years, many strains of worms have grown resistant to de-wormers such as levamisole.
What dewormers have they become resistant to?

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
What dewormers have they become resistant to?
They can be resistant to any de-wormers, it depends a lot on what de-wormers a strain of worms has previously been exposed to. So worms are more likely to be resistant to the de-wormers that are the most commonly used. I've seen a lot of people report resistance to levamisole, fenbendazole and flubendazole, because these are the de-wormers that are used the most. I've seen fewer people report resistance to Nematol (emamectin benzoate), probably because it is not yet as commonly used as the others. But Nematol can be deadly for some species of fish, so it can't always be used.

Basically, the only way to know if the strain of worms you are dealing with is resistant to a certain medication is to try it.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for the info, good to know, I'll try to get my hands on some fenbendazole too
But still what about the eggs or larvae? How long do they take to hatch exactly? And would fenbendazole kill off eggs?

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
Camallanus give birth to larvae, they don't lay eggs. The larvae must then be eaten by an intermediate host (like a copepod for example), and fish are infected when they eat that intermediate host. Although I've also read that the species that is most frequently seen in freshwater aquariums, camallanus cotti, does not require an intermediate host and can infect fish directly (meaning that the fish can be infected by eating the larvae directly, instead of eating an infected intermediate host).

Fenbendazole must be given in the food, so it would not kill eggs that are already in the tank, in the case of egg-laying species of worms.

Generally, people give a second dose 2 or 3 weeks after the first one, or they treat weekly for 3 weeks.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
But what about the things I have that only really eat live or frozen stuff? Do I just mix the meds with it while I prep it?
And what about larvae in the substrate, do I just let them continuously infect the fish and treat until there's none left?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store