Can a bonded pair of snakehead fish kept permanently as a pair ?

kumaran_4576

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2024
India
Can a bonded pair of snakehead fish kept permanently as a pair ? Or will they fight after breeding season... like central american cichlids(male harrasses female if not ready to breed ) ?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Fights can happen, but don't have to. It depends on the species, tank, water parameters, feeding condition, etc. and in the end also on the individual character of the fish.
Sounds reasonable, just like every other species of potentially-aggressive fish that forms pair bonds...cichlids, anyone?...or, for that matter, many avian and mammalian species as well, up to and including humans.

It works....until it doesn't. No guarantees.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Sounds reasonable, just like every other species of potentially-aggressive fish that forms pair bonds...cichlids, anyone?...or, for that matter, many avian and mammalian species as well, up to and including humans.

It works....until it doesn't. No guarantees.
It's a little more nuanced.

For example, subtropical channa breed in the warmer seasons. The breeding season is over when the temperature drops again. If you keep subtropical fish constantly (too) warm, they will be constantly in breeding mode, leading to fights and killings when a fish is not in the mood or simply unable to reproduce.
This can also happen if the fish is constantly overfed. They lose the ability to reproduce, which leads to the problems already mentioned.

Different species also react differently to different parameters. Sometimes a different location variant already behaves differently.
And the points mentioned do not take into account the individual behavior of individual specimens.

Long story short, you just can't generalize here.

Or more figuratively speaking, a pair of Parachanna obscura has a much better chance of staying together than a pair of Channa aurantimaculata.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada

For example, subtropical channa breed in the warmer seasons. The breeding season is over when the temperature drops again. If you keep subtropical fish constantly (too) warm, they will be constantly in breeding mode, leading to fights and killings when a fish is not in the mood or simply unable to reproduce.
This can also happen if the fish is constantly overfed. They lose the ability to reproduce, which leads to the problems already mentioned.

Different species also react differently to different parameters. Sometimes a different location variant already behaves differently.
And the points mentioned do not take into account the individual behavior of individual specimens.

Or more figuratively speaking, a pair of Parachanna obscura has a much better chance of staying together than a pair of Channa aurantimaculata.
Thanks for that ^ post. Nuance has never been my strong suit, and I would never have thought of all those...although all seem very reasonable when presented properly. They certainly point out that there are too many factors at play to present an answer to the original question that can be guaranteed correct.

But I think that my final statement/generalization still holds up pretty well. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...and sometimes it works for awhile and then stops...:)

kumaran_4576

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2024
India
Thank you all for the response...

I can understand... It almost sounds like having a pair of agressive cichlids...

So Fight may be triggered by : water change, temperature change, male want to breed but female not ready with eggs, smaller tank size, unavailability of ditcher fish to show the aggression, etc...

So I think its better to be ready with tank divider incase fight starts...

kumaran_4576

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2024
India

I thought its very simple to keep them as pair... but its getting complicated...

Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: Milingu

kumaran_4576

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2024
India
Thanks for that ^ post. Nuance has never been my strong suit, and I would never have thought of all those...although all seem very reasonable when presented properly. They certainly point out that there are too many factors at play to present an answer to the original question that can be guaranteed correct.

But I think that my final statement/generalization still holds up pretty well. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...and sometimes it works for awhile and then stops...:)
Yes... 😅

kumaran_4576

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2024
India
Had a pair of c.obscura paired for life as point in case and when one passed after quite a number of years, the other died not long after.
Wow...

Have few questions...

1. How many times do they breed on average for every year ?

2. After pair bonding, did they never had big fight ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store