Can a Carpo Knife Tolerate Salt?

Roxy55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
T thefredpit Mine started out being an ***, especially when he almost gutted my 6" albino rainbow shark!! One day I noticed my shark's tail fin is bitten, then it showed it underneath and there's this black hole where the organs were. I got the shark into my 25 gal guppy breeding tank for treatment! It took a long time for his belly area to heal. So now he lives with my guppies an angel, 3 smaller plecos in another 55 gal. The normal colour rainbow shark my son had was a real ***.

I've learned in the past 2 years, not to listen to fish sellers that don't specialize in fish!! Two different colour rainbow sharks cannot be combined without ill effects on one!!
So if I'm not familiar with a fish, I do a lot of research!! I've been around fish for 50 years. My mom had loads of tanks and then I got my own when I moved out!! I took a break for 12 years, until my neighbor got me started again 2 years ago. When I was into fish, there were many private basement breeders and fish only stores, where people knew their stuff!!
Getting back into fish there is only big box stores or in my area a toy/pet store.
I need to go 3 hrs away to the city to connect with a couple fish only stores or a few private breeders. So to find a knife of any kind needs to be a good day!!

I was fortunate to get my Carpo, sold as an Ossa knife with little info!!
It was a impulse buy, as the salesman said they weren't bringing them in again, as they weren't a good seller! So it was now or never. Then I tried finding info on my fish. There's almost nothing until this site, where I learned it was a different fish and may not be compatible with other fish! So I know what you mean about the Carpo. I don't want to stick my hand in his tank, with the way he grabs shrimp from my fingers!! Still a beautiful fish, with an ugly smile!
I much prefer the CK head for its beauty!!!

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Personally I'm not a big fan of the CK but do love the royals, also while my carpo had a bad attitude I've noticed of the 5 knives I've had the ones with the best temperaments are the 3 BGKs but even they would be considered grumpy. It sucks there aren't any LFS in your area I've been lucky there are 10+ stores in my area but I will only buy fish from 3 of them

Reactions: Roxy55

Roxy55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
T thefredpit Mine started out being an ***, especially when he almost gutted my 6" albino rainbow shark!! One day I noticed my shark's tail fin is bitten, then it showed it underneath and there's this black hole where the organs were. I got the shark into my 25 gal guppy breeding tank for treatment! It took a long time for his belly area to heal. So now he lives with my guppies an angel, 3 smaller plecos in another 55 gal. The normal colour rainbow shark my son had was a real ***.

I've learned in the past 2 years, not to listen to fish sellers that don't specialize in fish!! Two different colour rainbow sharks cannot be combined without ill effects on one!!
So if I'm not familiar with a fish, I do a lot of research!! I've been around fish for 50 years. My mom had loads of tanks and then I got my own when I moved out!! I took a break for 12 years, until my neighbor got me started again 2 years ago. When I was into fish, there were many private basement breeders and fish only stores, where people knew their stuff!!
Getting back into fish there is only big box stores or in my area a toy/pet store.
I need to go 3 hrs away to the city to connect with a couple fish only stores or a few private breeders. So to find a knife of any kind needs to be a good day!!

I was fortunate to get my Carpo, sold as an Ossa knife with little info!!
It was a impulse buy, as the salesman said they weren't bringing them in again, as they weren't a good seller! So it was now or never. Then I tried finding info on my fish. There's almost nothing until this site, where I learned it was a different fish and may not be compatible with other fish! So I know what you mean about the Carpo. I don't want to stick my hand in his tank, with the way he grabs shrimp from my fingers!! Still a beautiful fish, with an ugly smile!
I much prefer the CK head for its beauty!!!

Roxy55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Personally I'm not a big fan of the CK but do love the royals, also while my carpo had a bad attitude I've noticed of the 5 knives I've had the ones with the best temperaments are the 3 BGKs but even they would be considered grumpy. It sucks there aren't any LFS in your area I've been lucky there are 10+ stores in my area but I will only buy fish from 3 of them

Roxy55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
T thefredpit I'd love a RCK, however, I've never seen one in Alberta! I've seen BGK in with discus. I've seen people have amazing combinations of fish that work. I even had a strange combo of fish, until I accidentally poisoned them. It was so heartbreaking that i almost quit!!
There's a bio scientist in one of my fish groups on FB. He likes the apistos and has gone on fish collecting trips to S.A. He's just fascinating to talk with. He tries all sorts of experiments to raise fish in a low tech natural environment. Having plants filter the water along with other natural microbes in the substrate!
I'm going to have to ask Bart if he ever came across any knives! He found 2 new species of Apistos.

I'd love to see photos of your bichir! I've never heard or seen one until reading this forum. That fish comes up a lot, however, I don't know what one looks like! I'm learning about so many new fish. Many you seldom hear of in Canada or have access to!!!

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
T thefredpit I'd love a RCK, however, I've never seen one in Alberta! I've seen BGK in with discus. I've seen people have amazing combinations of fish that work. I even had a strange combo of fish, until I accidentally poisoned them. It was so heartbreaking that i almost quit!!
There's a bio scientist in one of my fish groups on FB. He likes the apistos and has gone on fish collecting trips to S.A. He's just fascinating to talk with. He tries all sorts of experiments to raise fish in a low tech natural environment. Having plants filter the water along with other natural microbes in the substrate!
I'm going to have to ask Bart if he ever came across any knives! He found 2 new species of Apistos.

I'd love to see photos of your bichir! I've never heard or seen one until reading this forum. That fish comes up a lot, however, I don't know what one looks like! I'm learning about so many new fish. Many you seldom hear of in Canada or have access to!!!
photos of my bichirs oh you poor soul you don't know what you asked for (laughs maniacally)

we will start with videos

now for photos
headshot.jpg 20170310_213359.jpg 20170325_111309.jpg food fight.JPG IMG_0644.JPG Jane 1.jpg Kris fin up 1.jpg p pile.jpg p pile2.jpg palmas 1.jpg piggie.jpg poly pile.jpg poly pipe.jpg teugelsi.jpg tommy and polly.jpg weeksii 1.jpg

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store