Can a teadrop butterflyfish go with a clown trigger?

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
In my back yard, around the base of an Eastern Red Cedar, sits a pile of sun bleached "liverocks". These were once the "reef" of a 58 gallon marine aquarium. The aquarium housed a Teardrop butterfly, a Coris aygula, a Starcki damsel and a Sunburst anthias. Then one day I found this gorgeous little Sea Cucumber. It was bright pink with five yellow stripes lengthwise. I just had to have it!...
I knew better. What was I thinking!?
All went well for about a year until the day I came home to a tank full of dead and dying fish. You see, sea cucumbers can emit a toxin lethal to fish. I managed to revive the wrasse and he lived a decade.
Why this story? Because I wouldn't recommend a Clown trigger with a Teardrop. The trigger may not be a problem for some time. If the trigger is small and the fish grow together you'll likely have success quite a while. But, will they last together for years? Maybe. Probably. But, it's a risk.
Above were the fish I chose to go with my Teardrop. I thought the tank looked great.
In your 75 gallon, you may have room for five medium sized fish... or one trigger. Pick 'em well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store