Can anyone help sex my flowerhorn?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Daam she’s a beast, he claims that this is the same fish which I highly doubt View attachment 1434481
Lol honestly that pic is so dark all I can make out is just this bare outline of a FH. It doesn't look like it's got too much of a kok either from the looks of it. She's a similar shape to the original female I had when I still bred FH's, a.k.a. Big Bertha's and Star's mother. But yeah she is a beast that is for sure, she's pushing about 9in atm and hates other fish unlike her lil sister.

Btw this here was the father of both of my 2 girls, you can see where Big Bertha gets her Gene's from but her lil sister was the odd ball of the whole batch, I'll attach a pic of both for ya to see.

cameringo_20200730_215538.jpg

IMG_20181006_050653803.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Oh btw I forgot to mention but kok size can change drastically as a FH goes through it's growth spurts. I've had mine grow and shrink as the body gets larger. Usually it stabilizes at roughly 5-6in, or at maturity.

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
Oh btw I forgot to mention but kok size can change drastically as a FH goes through it's growth spurts. I've had mine grow and shrink as the body gets larger. Usually it stabilizes at roughly 5-6in, or at maturity.
Daaam man thanks for the info all your fishes are sickkkk! I really want a female with kok one day, still going to try with this one I have right now.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Daaam man thanks for the info all your fishes are sickkkk! I really want a female with kok one day, still going to try with this one I have right now.
Lol wish I still had the male but he past away shortly after having his first and only batch of fry. I grew him up from a ¼in baby that was covered in ich at Petco and just happened to hit the jack pot with him. He sadly past away due to a swim bladder infection. Atm I'm working on getting Star to gain a bit more red coloration in her and trying to find a nice male Red Texas, FH or Carpinitus for her to breed with. Still not a 100% on whether I should breed for more red color or better pearling. Speaking of pearling though, if ya look closely at her you'll notice these lil orange pearls which I think would be neat to try and breed more of that into the next line. Never seen a FH with orange pearls before her, so who knows maybe I'll even be able to make a FH some day with only orange pearls.

Reactions: ryanmussio

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
Lol wish I still had the male but he past away shortly after having his first and only batch of fry. I grew him up from a ¼in baby that was covered in ich at Petco and just happened to hit the jack pot with him. He sadly past away due to a swim bladder infection. Atm I'm working on getting Star to gain a bit more red coloration in her and trying to find a nice male Red Texas, FH or Carpinitus for her to breed with. Still not a 100% on whether I should breed for more red color or better pearling. Speaking of pearling though, if ya look closely at her you'll notice these lil orange pearls which I think would be neat to try and breed more of that into the next line. Never seen a FH with orange pearls before her, so who knows maybe I'll even be able to make a FH some day with only orange pearls.
That’ll be sick, I’ll breed for more pearls first and then you can go for color .

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store