Can anyone help sex my flowerhorn?

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
The juvenile is in a tank on its own however I tried placing a divider with my male and the baby in the first week, same day I removed the divider as the baby was swimming normally on his side . Baby kept running from my big male. Whenever the big male comes to investigate the baby automatically runs so after a half hour or so the big male left it alone and was functioning perfectly fine without checking the juvenile and the juvenile just kept hiding.
I don’t know if that can possibly mean it’s a female also

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah I'd agree with the above saying the lil guy is a male from the look of the papilla and vent. Generally when the anus is bigger then the vent it's male, if the vent is bigger then the anus it's a female. Also when it comes to the papilla, if it comes to a needle point it's male while if it looks more like a volcano it's a female. This here is a pic of my female showing the difference in size between the anus and vent. I'll also include a side pic of my girl "Big Bertha" to show how outward appearances can be very deseiving.

cameringo_20200609_004757.jpg

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Also another good way of figuring out the gender is to pay attention to what direction the papilla is facing. If it faces behind the fish it's a female while if it faces anywhere else it's male. The reason the female's faces behind her is because she needs to leave a line of eggs behind her. With the male it doesn't really matter which way it faces since all he is doing is spraying sperm into the water Collum over top of the eggs.

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
I would still say it's male based on the size of the vent and the shape of the papilla. The vent looks to be smaller then the anus along with the papilla coming to a needle point.
Got this female Thursday, was told it had a kok as I saw it on video chat and stuff, upon arrival (delivered) the fish had no hump and it was really stressed so I said okay cool. First few days really was hard no one could have walk near the tank it will just go nuts,Monday it started to eat and well Today is the most it has ever swum with me there. I just have a feeling I was scammed, can’t be mad as there isn’t anything I can do, I’m just wondering if this female I have right now you think really had a decent size kok or can get one eventually.

Here are the pics, first is on Last week Thursday of arrival and it got darker as it was stressed with its new surroundings final pic is today still dark but eating and swimming9375BF51-4425-4699-BAF1-EDFBB6FD19AB.jpeg8C7527D4-82FE-4E7B-9A0E-18FA03F4265B.jpeg.

3C49FFD2-D1F6-4C42-BAEB-C3F5B5E9586C.png

E996EC02-A1E3-467A-BDAE-B4F133D0622D.png

8F07BB49-2FFB-4B87-A05F-5F845FDDE6F8.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Got this female Thursday, was told it had a kok as I saw it on video chat and stuff, upon arrival (delivered) the fish had no hump and it was really stressed so I said okay cool. First few days really was hard no one could have walk near the tank it will just go nuts,Monday it started to eat and well Today is the most it has ever swum with me there. I just have a feeling I was scammed, can’t be mad as there isn’t anything I can do, I’m just wondering if this female I have right now you think really had a decent size kok or can get one eventually.

Here are the pics, first is on Last week Thursday of arrival and it got darker as it was stressed with its new surroundings final pic is today still dark but eating and swimmingView attachment 1434438View attachment 1434439.

View attachment 1434440

View attachment 1434442

View attachment 1434443
For a female to get a decent sized kok is pretty rare. Females generally don't grow one because there is just no need for em to have one. I know you can use a mirror, for 20 mins after feeding, to help stimulate more kok growth but even when done to a female you'll be lucky if ya see results. I know I was lucky and got a female with a big kok out of a batch of fry I raised up but that was maybe 1 out of 100+ fry that I had raised up. So the odds of getting a big kok female isn't impossible but not very likely to happen either. btw this is the female I have with the big kok. Her name is Big Bertha.

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

Reactions: ryanmussio

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
For a female to get a decent sized kok is pretty rare. Females generally don't grow one because there is just no need for em to have one. I know you can use a mirror, for 20 mins after feeding, to help stimulate more kok growth but even when done to a female you'll be lucky if ya see results. I know I was lucky and got a female with a big kok out of a batch of fry I raised up but that was maybe 1 out of 100+ fry that I had raised up. So the odds of getting a big kok female isn't impossible but not very likely to happen either. btw this is the female I have with the big kok. Her name is Big Bertha.

View attachment 1434480
Daam she’s a beast, he claims that this is the same fish which I highly doubt C2454528-39D3-43E8-BB67-E5F4FCE90E8D.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store