Can anyone identify what this is???

Sciroccoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Florida
So I just did a 30% water change, moved the rocks, and cleaned the filters. After the water cleared I went to take a look at my fishies when I noticed the guppy had a weird discoloration on top of his head. It's kinda dark and mossy looking with a clear like patch of randomness, it doesn't look like it has legs or anything, but then I noticed his mouth looked funny with a sort of white spongy material. I thought maybe he is just a messy eater, then I noticed a couple other of my fish seemed to have the same discoloration atop their heads....and I noticed a different swimming pattern, like they were rubbing something off.... so I could use some help identifying the problem, if there even is one. The first pic is the guppy, then the second is my Lab. the lab has dark areas more so around the area in front of his Dorsal fin. then the rest of the pix are of the other ones I noticed a dark discoloration around their faces.... I also have video of their behavior and discoloration...

disease-590.gif

disease-593.gif

disease-586.gif

disease-604.gif

disease-611.gif

disease-614.gif

MalawiBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
California
Oh, sorry I skimmed. Could be a type of fungus, since you mention something mossy and spongy.

MalawiBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
California
Sciroccoman;2477546; said:
read the whole post..... It is a disease identification, not species!!!
Yeah sorry for that, looking at the pictures I don't really see anything wrong with them though. Or its just me. :confused:

MalawiBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
California
For the guppy the white substance might be mouth fungus:here info I found off a website:
Mouth Fungus Symptoms: White cottony patches around the mouth.

Mouth Fungus is so called because it looks like a fungus attack of the mouth. It is actually caused from the bacterium Chondrococcus columnaris. It shows up first as a gray or white line around the lips and later as short tufts sprouting from the mouth like fungus. The toxins produced and the inability to eat will be fatal unless treated at an early stage.
Penicillin at 10,000 units per liter is a very effective treatment. Treat with a second dose in two days. Or use chloromycetin, 10 to 20 mg per liter, with a second dose in two days.

For the yellow lab I'm not sure...

Sciroccoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Florida
Here's a better look at the guppy's symptoms.... the mouth and you'll notice the dark coloration on the top of his head....it has a weird pattern to it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xzlVmWrEnY

Thank you for your help Malawiboy. Maybe this video will shed some light on the coloration I see on the Yellow Lab...

MalawiBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
California
Sciroccoman;2477810; said:
Here's a better look at the guppy's symptoms.... the mouth and you'll notice the dark coloration on the top of his head....it has a weird pattern to it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xzlVmWrEnY

Thank you for your help Malawiboy. Maybe this video will shed some light on the coloration I see on the Yellow Lab...
Glad I can helpish, though for the darkening and dark spot(or what I think is a spot) I'm completely clueless. Goodluck though. Though if the fishes starting to developed multiple dark spots (or what I think are spots) then it could be dark spot disease. Hope I could help. Goodluck, and bump.
EDIT:http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=YTI&sa=N

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store