Can bow fin live together?

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
xenacanth9 xenacanth9 Cowturtle Cowturtle - I think Both have experience with them

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
xenacanth9 xenacanth9 Cowturtle Cowturtle - I think Both have experience with them
Never kept one myself but plan to soon. I'd love to hear others experience.

Reactions: Kingdoffishcraft

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Can bowfin live together indefinitely?
No, unless the tank is about the size of a small pond and if there's a large quantity of cover; adult bowfin often end up killing each other in a smaller, enclosed space. Bowfin seem to do much better in large schools when very young; as they age, they'll split apart from the main school and form small "bands", which, upon the fish reaching up to ~8-12 inches, seem to then completely separate and each bowfin will become quite solitary.

Reactions: Kingdoffishcraft

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
O
No, unless the tank is about the size of a small pond and if there's a large quantity of cover; adult bowfin often end up killing each other in a smaller, enclosed space. Bowfin seem to do much better in large schools when very young; as they age, they'll split apart from the main school and form small "bands", which, upon the fish reaching up to ~8-12 inches, seem to then completely separate and each bowfin will become quite solitary.
Ok! Thanks for the info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store