Can Featherfin Catfish live with Horseface Loaches and Corys?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Hi,
Can Featherfin Catfish live in a 90g rectangular tank with Horsefaced Loaches, and Cory's? Also, would the Featherfins do better in groups, or sole?

Thanks!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Hi,
Can Featherfin Catfish live in a 90g rectangular tank with Horsefaced Loaches, and Cory's? Also, would the Featherfins do better in groups, or sole?

Thanks!
By Featherfin do you mean Synodontis eupterus? Yes, you could keep the squeaker with cories but I'm unsure of the horsefaces as I haven't kept those before. I had a squeaker d*** that killed a S. decorus because it was a conspecific. It ignored everyone else. I currently house a S. angelicus with a S. multipunctatis and there is no sharing of hides by the angelicus but it ignores the N. multilamprologus. If you provide adequate hides you may not have any issues.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Randles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2021
UK
I have a synodontis squeaker and he's quite feisty to be honest just so you're aware. I have him in with 2 oscars and he holds his own no problem put it that way.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Hi,

Thanks!
Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers! From my experience I would not recommend keeping a featherfin catfish with either of those species nor with its own kind, as they are territorial and aggressive towards both nonaggressive bottom dwellers and their own kind.

You may also want a larger tank that a 341 liter cube. Since featherfins get to 30 cm, following the 6 times as long as the fish rule from Practical Fishkeeping, it should be at least 180 cm long.

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
I had a pack of YoYo's living with a Synodontis Angelicus and they nibbled his Dorsal fin and Pectoral fins to nubs. They were separated and the fins eventually grew back. So I wouldn't recommend it regarding the loach, but maybe a single loach may be kept in check.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers! From my experience I would not recommend keeping a featherfin catfish with either of those species nor with its own kind, as they are territorial and aggressive towards both nonaggressive bottom dwellers and their own kind.

You may also want a larger tank that a 341 liter cube. Since featherfins get to 30 cm, following the 6 times as long as the fish rule from Practical Fishkeeping, it should be at least 180 cm long.
Agreed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store