Can I add another?

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi all! So I have had my red eye puffer for over a year now and he has really jumped around tanks however he finally has his own tank that I do not plan to move him from. He has been in this fluval flex 15g since Christmas, I planted and scaled it and it is probably my favorite scape in my fishroom currently. I was thinking now that the plants have grown in and there is more visual blockers if it would be possible to add another REP. I understand also that if I did do that maybe it would be a better plan to get 2 more so the aggression can be spread out. I’m just thinking because he is only one little fish in that whole ya m and the only other fish I have in there (a trio of ottos and a farrowella catfish) are also always stationary, I just want something to make it look like there is some activity. If not more puffers maybe a school of tetras (if so what kind would you suggest), however I also understand if it is not possible. I just know that that puffer stays hidden most of the day huddled in a title pocket in one of the rocks, which I know is normal behavior for them, but I really have to point him out to people. This was just a thought I had, thank in advance!image.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Depends on which type of Red Eye puffer species you have in there...

If its a C.Irrubessco you maybe able to get away with adding 2 more, but with him / her probably already having claimed its territory it maybe tricky to add more without potential fights breaking out in the tank, especially if they are not close in size to each other or you have 2 males and only 1 female...

I also worry that while you do have a fairly well decorated tank, the plants themselves are not that dense and doesnt seem to be too many hiding spots your other puffers can hide in to get away from the others (if fights break out), so that maybe something to watch out for if you go that route...

One last thing i want to mention (which you probably wont like to hear), is if you decide to add new puffers, its sometimes good to redecorate the tank before adding the new additions so that no territory can be held by the old puffer, while also giving your new puffers a chance to setup their new territories as well...

Hope that helps and gives you some ideas how to make it work...

Last edited:

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Depends on which type of Red Eye puffer species you have in there...

If its a C.Irrubessco you maybe able to get away with adding 2 more, but with him / her probably already having claimed its territory it maybe tricky to add more without potential fights breaking out in the tank, especially if they are not close in size to each other or you have 2 males and only 1 female...

I also worry that while you do have a fairly well decorated tank, the plants themselves are not that dense and doesnt seem to be too many hiding spots your other puffers can hide in to get away from the others (if fights break out), so that maybe something to watch out for if you go that route...

One last thing i want to mention (which you probably wont like to hear), is if you decide to add new puffers, its sometimes good to redecorate the tank before adding the new additions so that no territory can be held by the old puffer, while also giving your new puffers a chance to setup their new territories as well...

Hope that helps and gives you some ideas how to make it work...
A totally I don’t mind redecorating. I have another piece of wood similar to the one already in there that I have a few ideas to try with. Thanks for the input and when I go downstairs I will get a photo of him! I hope you can figure out which one he is, but if not I understand!

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
CaptainAquatics CaptainAquatics post a photo and if im still up i’ll try and help you ID him as its getting late where i am...

Reactions: tlindsey

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
CaptainAquatics CaptainAquatics post a photo and if im still up i’ll try and help you ID him as its getting late where i am...
Absolutly, let me run downstairs real quick and get his tank light turned on then I will post a photo. Also another question do you think other red eyes would bother the ghost shrimp in that tank? My current red eye leaves them alone but would others possibly go after them?

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
hope this works!A719034C-07E7-4395-A2AD-8357CFBD1F0A.jpeg6B7B7FF9-C329-49A8-B2FF-328F19010423.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im personally leaning towards C.Irrubesco, although the potential solid line markings under the belly could potentially mean its C.Salivator?

Then again, as its late and im tired as heck from unpacking boxes still, so i’ll have a look again tmr, although if possible, see if you can one day grab some better photos of the belly markings itself...

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Im personally leaning towards C.Irrubesco, although the potential solid line markings under the belly could potentially mean its C.Salivator?

Then again, as its late and im tired as heck from unpacking boxes still, so i’ll have a look again tmr, although if possible, see if you can one day grab some better photos of the belly markings itself...
Will do!

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Would it be possible instead a do a school of like 6 neon tetras? I just want some more activity in that tank. If not neons is there some other tetra that may work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store