Can I filter out chlorine?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I would like to run water straight into my aquarium slowly from the tap.
Can I set up a filter to run it through, that will remove all the chlorine?
(Note: I do not want RO)
They just add regular chlorine to the water, nothing else.
I am willing to spend a little money to set it up for the added convenience.
I have a drinking water safe water hose with a thermometer on it. I connect it to the kitchen faucet and adjust the temp to match the tank.
I am tired of going into a 30 gallon plastic barrel, removing the chlorine, then pumping it into the tank.
It works though.

Tank you,

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I would like to run water straight into my aquarium slowly from the tap.
Can I set up a filter to run it through, that will remove all the chlorine?
(Note: I do not want RO)
They just add regular chlorine to the water, nothing else.
I am willing to spend a little money to set it up for the added convenience.
I have a drinking water safe water hose with a thermometer on it. I connect it to the kitchen faucet and adjust the temp to match the tank.
I am tired of going into a 30 gallon plastic barrel, removing the chlorine, then pumping it into the tank.
It works though.

Tank you,
Activated carbon helps a lot or if you just add the proper amount of dechlorinator before filling the tank

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Go to bulkreefsupply and buy the parts needed for setting up a filtration system. This is what I did for my 535g. I did 3 stage where first stage was just a sediment filter and then two stages using their filter media that removes both chlorine and chloramines. This way I could avoid using something like Safe and just drip water 24/7 into my tank.

If you are not doing a full time drip then just put Prime/Safe into the tank before you put the new water in.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Go to bulkreefsupply and buy the parts needed for setting up a filtration system. This is what I did for my 535g. I did 3 stage where first stage was just a sediment filter and then two stages using their filter media that removes both chlorine and chloramines. This way I could avoid using something like Safe and just drip water 24/7 into my tank.

If you are not doing a full time drip then just put Prime/Safe into the tank before you put the new water in.
what test did you use to check when the chlorine/chloramine filter needed to be replaced?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I just dose safe for the entire tanks volume and fill it up.
That is what I have always done, but I had tilapia in the tank. They are hardy.
Now I have angles, gourami and tetras. Will that work for them, or are they too sensitive?
I tried it once and lost a fish.

Reactions: Denon

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I've done it with angels before,never lost a fish. I run a power head or an airstone while i fill up the tank for circulation. I believe most dechlorinators start working immediately , duanes duanes would know.

Reactions: johnnymax

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I've done it with angels before,never lost a fish. I run a power head or an airstone while i fill up the tank for circulation. I believe most dechlorinators start working immediately , duanes duanes would know.
Do you go ahead and hose the whole tank for the whole tank volume, then add the water?
Or do you add declorinator as you add water?

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Do you go ahead and hose the whole tank for the whole tank volume, then add the water?
A couple of weeks ago I asked Greg about having to treat the entire tank volume, when filling directly from a hose. (vs. pre-treating the new water).
This comes up time & time again on various forums, so here's the skinny directly from the CEO.

Greg stated:

"some people prefer to just add the new untreated water directly to the tank... if they do that then we recommend the amount of Prime they add be based on the total gallonage of the aquarium rather than just what they added. The "extra" amount speeds up the rate of removal."

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I've done both ways during a 90% refill (dosing for total tank volume). Never any issues for any of my wild fish and I have chloramine at the max value coming out of tap 4ppm, so none of it will evaporate (like chlorine) as it enters the tank.

Reactions: johnnymax
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store