can i have 2 different type of piranha together

xxcallumxx02

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
i have 1 serrasalmus caribe by its self and as i cant find the same type of piranha could i put another type of piranha with it? or will they kill each other, i was think about getting some red belly's to go with it.
can anyone help me or suggest anything about this as i need to get some more piranhas to go with it fast?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i have 1 serrasalmus caribe by its self and as i cant find the same type of piranha could i put another type of piranha with it? or will they kill each other, i was think about getting some red belly's to go with it.
can anyone help me or suggest anything about this as i need to get some more piranhas to go with it fast?

N nzafi
souzie souzie

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
So you have a serra or pygo? Caribe are pygocentrus not serrasalmus. You can keep caribe with reds you just have to be aware they are more aggressive and grow bigger. Not to mention that anytime you keep more than in piranha there is always a chance of cannibalism.

Reactions: tlindsey

xxcallumxx02

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
thanks for telling me ill got some red belly does it matter if i have more red belly then caribe?, i don't know if its a serra or pygo because i got it from a reptile shop and they just called it serrasalmus caribe i could show you a photo and you could tell me what it is

Reactions: tlindsey

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Post a pic. It's been years since I kept a school of piranha. Because they go after each other people normally get a larger shoal and it gets trimmed over time. The number will be dependent on the size of current tank and planned future tank. People try avoid just two because one quickly becomes dominant which could lead to problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store