Can I keep a alligator gar in a pond in Michigan?

bananabomb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2019
I find of want to get a alligator gar and I know they get big so I have a friend with a pond in Michigan so can a allagator gar live in Michigan

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
I live in illinois and Gars are all over in the rivers. They recently stocked a river with a bunch of alligator gar to combat the asian carp problem. Now I always thought they needed to be in rivers because the moving water stopped it from freezing and they could survive....but I have caught plenty of them (shortnose not alligator) in lakes and ponds that 100% freeze over in the winter. Not saying I would risk it if I were you but its not impossible.

If you friend had an underwater aeration system in his pond that usually keeps a circlular spot from freezing and that might work out best.

bananabomb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2019
I live in illinois and Gars are all over in the rivers. They recently stocked a river with a bunch of alligator gar to combat the asian carp problem. Now I always thought they needed to be in rivers because the moving water stopped it from freezing and they could survive....but I have caught plenty of them (shortnose not alligator) in lakes and ponds that 100% freeze over in the winter. Not saying I would risk it if I were you but its not impossible.

If you friend had an underwater aeration system in his pond that usually keeps a circlular spot from freezing and that might work out best.
thanks for the input but my friend has a natural pond so it would not work

Reactions: tlindsey

Terraphyte Tank Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2018
I find of want to get a alligator gar and I know they get big so I have a friend with a pond in Michigan so can a allagator gar live in Michigan
Hello ban...

It's doubtful. They hang out in the southern parts of the US. In Texas for instance. I'd hate to think of heating that volume of outdoor water in Michigan.

TTG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hello ban...

It's doubtful. They hang out in the southern parts of the US. In Texas for instance. I'd hate to think of heating that volume of outdoor water in Michigan.

TTG
I used to think so too, but...

Twenty people before you and me told different. Please read both threads, this one and the linked one to learn more... if you will.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Hello ban...

TTG
The only reason it wouldn’t work would be due to a solid freeze.
Alligator gar used to range from the gulf coast far north to the Chicago area but has receded further south due to over fishing and habitat loses.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store