Can I use the Somatic UF-1 Media Reactor for K1 Filter?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Hi,

I have Somatic UF-1, very basic media reactor.
Can I use this as a K1 Filter?

Any tips on how to reduce noise levels?

So I just remove the center tube, add air stone to bottom and add the K1 media?

FDC4326E-26F8-484C-B6BE-A2D952FE0A4A.jpeg

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
I forgot, where is optimal place to drill holes or this not needed? There is tube connection at the top, water can get in from there?

chopshop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2023
Old thread revival
I just added k1 micro to my ultra reef reactor...added about 70% with media, dropped a few EA pure balls to help seed....day 3 now and the media hasn't sunk yet...
Just wondering how the OP got onwith his reactor
I'm thinking lower the reactor flow might help the media sink before I turn on the air stone

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Old thread revival
I just added k1 micro to my ultra reef reactor...added about 70% with media, dropped a few EA pure balls to help seed....day 3 now and the media hasn't sunk yet...
Just wondering how the OP got onwith his reactor
I'm thinking lower the reactor flow might help the media sink before I turn on the air stone
Let me know if you figure this out. I have the same unit sitting in my drawer and haven’t figured out a use for it yet.

chopshop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2023
Will do....I must add I did a mod on this reactor a while back and made it for 2 types of media..rowaphos at the bottom and carbon on top..by making a copy of the top disc with a larger centre hole that slides down the rod.
And this copy is now the top of the K1 reactor because I can run a airline down it with the rod

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Will do....I must add I did a mod on this reactor a while back and made it for 2 types of media..rowaphos at the bottom and carbon on top..by making a copy of the top disc with a larger centre hole that slides down the rod.
And this copy is now the top of the K1 reactor because I can run a airline down it with the rod
Seems like a cool mod. Thanks for the reply. I got this unit years ago to see if I can create a slow flow sulfur reactor to remove nitrates but never got around to it. Gotta do more research but might try it when I have a bit more time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store