Can longnose gars eat koi pellets?

Eric&

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2019
Ive been trying to feed my longnose gar Goldfish and Freeze dried krill and mealworms. It will eat mosquito fish but i dont breed mosquito fish and I breed goldfish, And not gonna keep buying mosquito fish bc its a 2 hour drive to the pet store. I have koi food do you think i can use koi food or no

Mr geophagus

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2019
No. The vast majority of hard and similar predator fish will only eat live foods, specifically fish, no exceptions. My silver gar would ONLY eat rosy reds back in the day.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I'd say they probably could eat them, depending on brand they're mostly fish meal from the looks of it.

The question really should be "Will longnose gars eat koi pellets?" Sounds from the issues you're having getting it to eat other more attractive foods the answer probably is No. There are other pellets that probably would be better though.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'd say they probably could eat them, depending on brand they're mostly fish meal from the looks of it.

The question really should be "Will longnose gars eat koi pellets?" Sounds from the issues you're having getting it to eat other more attractive foods the answer probably is No. There are other pellets that probably would be better though.
Agreed.The gar could eat those pellets if it wanted to but they probably are of little good for it.If you are going to try and train your gar onto pellets then it would be better to use a pellet designed to address the dietary needs of the fish.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store