Can Mono live in fresh water?

alanhoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hi, i have just got 2 monos the shop told me they have been converted to fresh water. But i check online, as they grow they may need brackish water. I have 2 senegallus also. Can they live together? Thx guys

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you want those Mono happy and have longer life it will need to slowly acclimate/convert to brackish water setup. Also, 9/10 LFS suggestions are WRONG...They just want your money and don't give a damn about the life of the fish.

Reactions: Fish rescue

alanhoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
If you want those Mono happy and have longer life it will need to slowly acclimate/convert to brackish water setup. Also, 9/10 LFS suggestions are WRONG...They just want your money and don't give a damn about the life of the fish.
how do I do that? I use epsom salt and how do I measure. is there any test kit also. can my senegallus live in brackish water?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'm affair that's your Senegal can't live in brackish water, to convert fresh water to brackish I would suggest you pay a visit to our brackish water section and it's a long process that taking months to complete.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Epsom salt won't cut it. You need to use marine salt such as Instant Ocean. To measure the salinity you need a hydrometer or even better a refractometer. Your senegal will most likely not do well in a brackish/marine setting. I never acclimated monos but I did acclimate scats which are very similar. I did it over a couple of hours.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I just read your other thread. I have no idea if monos will do well in freshwater. Assuming they don't trade the monos in for silver dollars or tinfoils depending on your tank size.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Actually, Monos are now being bred and raised in purely fresh water. So dependent on where they come from they could be just fine.

Its just like Scats, I have seen Argus/Rubifrons grown purely in
fresh to 12" inches.

I should clarify this is in regards to Mono Sabae NOT Mono Argentus.

Last edited:

Ryan1783

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I've have a mono in freshwater for about 4 years now, in a 150 gallon and he's doing grea. He's probably about the size of my hand

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store