Can Plecos Digest Wood?

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
I just play it safe and feed them everything. Algae wafers, massivore pellets, bloodworms, cucumbers, and there is plenty of wood. Lol

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
For decades Tropheus keepers felt that due to the intestinal length & long digestive process in that species, it should only be fed low protein "green" food, and that any amount of animal based protein could cause bloat. Yet science has proven that in captive bred species of Tropheus the intestinal length can be half of what's found in wild specimens.

A more recent study that was published in 2009 demonstrates just how great intestinal plasticity can be in response to the diet quality of various species of fish found in Lake Tanganyika.

http://limnology.wisc.edu/personnel..._Functional-Ecology-LT-cichlid-gut-length.pdf

The above paper clearly demonstrates just how adaptive some species of fish can be when it comes to their diet. As long as one feeds a quality food, diet will generally be a non issue, and will not cause any type of major gastrointestinal stress. Most fish were born to adapt.
I would be wary of assuming that plecos could adapt as readily. I'm not an evolutionary biologist, but I believe rift lake cichlids exhibit some of the most plasticity of any type of fish. The african rift lakes are much younger, geologically speaking, than the Amazon which is older and more stable; thus, in addition to the diversity of microhabitats, many rift lake cichlids (e.g. tropheus) are more readily able to adapt to dietary changes.

Furthermore, some of the plecos purchased are sub-adults or near adults, so their digestive systems may not be able to adapt to changes in diet such as the tropheus mentioned.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Good point Linus, and I agree. I wasn't suggesting that plecos are hard wired the same as cichlid fish found in Lake Tanganyika, more that I am wary about the feeding classifications that are assigned by ichthyologists, and perhaps more so, how those classifications should be viewed by hobbyists.

The study that involved a number of species of fish found in Lake Tanganyika (not just tropheus sp.) was simply a single example of how easily classifications can be and IME over the years often are confusing to many hobbyists.

Having said all that I would certainly never suggest feeding a panaque nothing but a diet high in protein and/or fatty acids, and would always recommend that ones pellets/wafers should have a reasonable inclusion rate of fiber, and aquatic plant matter such as various algae, no matter the genus or species of pleco being fed.

HTH

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
bump for those that missed this the first time around .......

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bumping this one up for those asking about plecos, and wood.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I read the article, and skimmed the pdf. I am thinking that while he says that they don't gain nutrition from the wood, it may help them with digrstion or something. He also infers that they would be rather unhappy without wood. So I think what I come away with from this is that they need to be fed things besides wood, not instead of wood.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not exactly. Panaques etc do not require wood as part of their diet, in fact while they eat it, for the most part they do not digest it. As I stated in the first sentence of this thread, they eat it as a secondary action when scraping the biofilm that grows on the wood. It's not the wood, it's what's on the wood. In the wild it is a niche where plecos have eked out an existence, but when kept in the confines of a glass box they require real nutrition, amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals etc, just like any other fish. They will not get those nutrients from sucking on a piece of driftwood in someone's tank.

It's certainly all good keeping wood in pleco tanks and allowing them the opportunity to chew to their hearts content, but from a nutritional stand point it is not a necessity, where real nutrients, like those found in commercial food, are. Without those nutrients your pleco will die from malnutrition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store