Can probiotics in fish food (ex: hikari cichlid gold) live without air?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
They would die being sealed in their package and be useless. Also companies can't prove they are not using anaerobic species just by saying so since nobody would check.....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
They use a cold re-extrusion process to ensure that the bacteria remains viable, and they test each batch post extrusion. They are also the only company that I am aware of that utilizes this technique.

I wrote a sticky on this subject several yrs ago, you might be interested in reading that as well.

Companies that have their reputation and a lot of money on the line aren't going to NOT test their foods bacteria count, at post production levels. You want to prove otherwise, send a sealed retail container to a lab and post the lab results.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I guess I wasn't thinking it thoroughly, they indeed live in guts and its good to know there are companies out there that test their product.

Reactions: tlindsey

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
This just reminded me of something I was wondering. Long story short, I have two opened 2mm NLS probiotix bc of a error in an order. I assume I shouldn't freeze a container of Probiotix to extend shelf life as it might kill the bacteria?

I know it's been discussed that freezing NLS is unnecessary if you're gonna use it within a year of opening but you can extend the life by freezing it. I think RD said he did an experiment and his frozen NLS was good for at least three years in the freezer.

I'm not sure if I can go through these containers within a year of opening as I feed mostly 1mm and only a few of my fish are big enough for 2mm to be appropriate for them.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I suspect that freezing that formula would harm/kill the bacteria. You would be better off storing in a cool, dry, dark location until feeding, even if it is past the 1 year mark.

Reactions: BichirMohawk
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store