Can Someone please ID this Salminus Please

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Is this a LFS or wholesaler fish? Price? Catch location? Could be clues.......

Possible its not a Salminus? Something looks funny. Dark spot?

Been a while since looking at weee lil guys, I feel rusty. lol.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think the spot is a giveaway, but not as much as the price. Never personally seen or even heard of any Salminus going that cheap.

I'd suspect a Brycon species. The one that seems to frequent the trade is Dentex. True demons. Unaware of any successful long term cohabs with anything.

Ash_water

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Colombo Sri Lanka
instagram.com
I think the spot is a giveaway, but not as much as the price. Never personally seen or even heard of any Salminus going that cheap.

I'd suspect a Brycon species. The one that seems to frequent the trade is Dentex. True demons. Unaware of any successful long term cohabs with anything.
Cooool. Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
For $64 why not buy one and grow it out?

Back in the day that was pretty much the only choice you had..... Which coincidently is where a lot of us got most of our experience......

Perfect example - guy sets up a delicate balance of Characins and introduces a fish he just stole from the LFS - surely they accidently sell mislabeled fish for pennies on the dollar - Wanna guess how the story ends? Might have something to do with that black dot. OR might just be a figment of someones overactive imagination......

For the record I DO enjoy being proven wrong - I'll gladly admit being wrong, when I am wrong.

Reactions: Ash_water

Ash_water

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Colombo Sri Lanka
instagram.com
For $64 why not buy one and grow it out?

Back in the day that was pretty much the only choice you had..... Which coincidently is where a lot of us got most of our experience......

Perfect example - guy sets up a delicate balance of Characins and introduces a fish he just stole from the LFS - surely they accidently sell mislabeled fish for pennies on the dollar - Wanna guess how the story ends? Might have something to do with that black dot. OR might just be a figment of someones overactive imagination......

For the record I DO enjoy being proven wrong - I'll gladly admit being wrong, when I am wrong.
Thank you

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store