Can Water Hyacinth be Planted in Sand/substrate?

Guppy_R

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2022
I have a small water hyacinth plant which igot recently (last week) and know it's a floating plant, but I don't have room for floating plants at the aquarium top, so I planted it on the substrate, will it be a problem, does it need to be specifically floating only?

It seems to be doing well so far.

Also, are its seeds or so poisonous? I heard something about it but not so sure

Reactions: tlindsey

Guppy_R

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2022
Also, a out-of-topic question, without enough nutrients in the soil, the plant would die, but which factor does a plant need more, light or nutrients, the latter right. Other than fish waste , what other factors contribute to nutrients in the tank?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If I remember rightly water hyacinth have fine hairy leaves designed to help them float. I would think keeping them submerged would cause them to rot/die off.

Guppy_R

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2022
If I remember rightly water hyacinth have fine hairy leaves designed to help them float. I would think keeping them submerged would cause them to rot/die off.
Hmm
Th I will still keep them in the tank and see how it goes for now...

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Water hyacinth will survive some time submerged, but will slowly deteriorate and die. It’s roots are specialized to extract nutrients from the water, and it’s leaves to float and perform photosynthesis at the surface.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe you may also need source of UV light, as in sunlight, or maybe the UVb bulbs sold for reptiles..
Whenever I have tried Hyacinth indoors it has done poorly, except.......
it did OK, was when in a window boxabove tank sump, or in a tank near a window with a southern exposure.
1662917043081.png
1662917188700.png
Those tiny hairs on the roots have evolved to get nutrients from the water column, and may rot (as stated above) when rooted in substrate, much the way plants like java fern do, when buried.
1662917475051.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store