Can you help with Cichlid ID

Kodatech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2007
roanoke, va
I got these at petsmart about a year ago and they were in a "manager's special" "assorted african cichlid" tank...any idea what they are?

Any help is appreciated. And if you go to my gallery, you can see click them and they become HUGE, if it helps. Thanks in advance!

emptyhead0102

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
North AL
1,2,4- Melanochromis Johannii (females and juveniles are orange, males turn blue w/ balck stripes)
3,8- Pseudotrpheus crabro (bumblebee)
5- Metriaclima callainos (not positive though, anyone else?)
6,7- Melanochromis Auratus (one of my personal favs)

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong please

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
1. M. johannii type
2. M. johannii type
3. P. crabro
4. M. johannii type
5. P. socolofi
6. M. johannii type
7. M. johannii type
8. P. crabro

Now you may be wondering "WTF is a M. 'johannii type'" and it's actually quite simple.
I don't like to assume a Melanochromis of the johannii complex is pure when I see one because it is most likely a jumbled mix of M. johannii, M. interruptus and/or M. cyanoerhabdos. Hell, chances are, there are some "M. johannii" out there that don't even have M. johannii in them. A nicer way of putting the H-word, if you will.

Kodatech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2007
roanoke, va
H-word or not, it is what it is. If it is an H-word, you can call it that, you wont offend me. :O)

Thanks for the help!

Havoc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2007
Colorado
It's fair to assume that any african sold in an "assorted" tank is a hybrid, even moreso when it's petsmart, petco, walmart, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store