Can You Keep Jardini's and Kelberi Bass?

Rell XV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2019
Iowa
Hello, I have a huge question for anyone who has kept Jardini in larger aquariums. I have a 1000g with loads of plants and hiding spots for fish. The tank currently houses a 24" Endlicheri, 22" Florida Gar, 15" Managuense, and two 18" Kelberi Peacock Bass. I will be adding a tough schooling fish like Red Hooks here soon.
My question is if a Jardini would work with these fish in this kind of aquarium. I have heard a load of stories about how aggressive they can be, but I have noticed a trend throughout the years of these kind of stories either being blown way out of proportion or being a one off horror story.
I want to know, from someone who actually has kept a Jardini in a big tank what they are like. I know also from first hand experience with other extremely aggressive fish that larger aquariums almost automatically reduce aggression in certain fish. I want to know if Jardini calm down in bigger tanks. Even if they don't then would the fish and environment I provide be able to withstand said aggression?
My Kelberi Bass are my absolute favorite of the fish in this tank. Two huge Golden females with the most vibrant of personalities that I raised since they were babies. I really want to know if a Jardini would make a good tankmate with them. I've wanted an Arowana for a very long time, tried keeping Silvers, but the drop-eye thing and their outrageous size has kind of driven me away from them. I know Jardini can still get drop-eye but it is supposedly not as common in them as Silvers.
I have plenty of space left in this tank, and my Managuense is 18 so he's bound to drop soon anyways. The Managuense also is stupidly mean to bottom dwellers (Like my Endlicheri,) but my Managuense only kind of bullies him during feeding time. Even then it's mostly just nudging no biting. I figured if my Managuense that absolutely hates bottom dwellers can live with almost zero problems with a bottom dweller in this tank, a Jardini could result a similar experience.
I want to be absolutely sure though. Thanks kindly for any information, and if needed I can provide further information on my set up.

- Zach

aroijuana

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
New Jersey
trial and error man.. sometimes they work out great, others they fight with almost everything. just depends on the fish.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
In my experience jardini do not work long term with bass. Eventually they will shred fins and kill smaller bass once they feel the tank is their territory. I’ve only seen them coexist when the jar was around 1/3rd the size of the bass

Reactions: dr exum

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
My Jardini has killed 4 bass his size while growing to 14" and shredded and de scaled a16" koi. The only tank mates he has not killed are large silver dollars and large Oscars. the silver dollars are to fast and the Oscars get out of his way and are on the bottom most of the time.

IMG_20200928_041042.jpg

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I have both big fish, and big tanks and let me tell you I have yet to keep a fish that has come close to my jardini in actual aggression (not just territorial behavior), and intelligence. I kept him as a young fish (under 16") in an 8' by 4'. He de-scaled his tankmates, and when I got tired of it, and divided him out behind a baby gate, the problems got worse. He would poke his nose through every hole in the gate testing it for a weak spot to push through.

That being said, he met his match when he tried to fillet the wrong fish. I have since gotten another that seems to be more mellow. Only time will tell. Definitely a fish worth keeping, and even after all the problems the first one gave me, I still miss having him.

I have noticed there seems to be a difference with heavily planted tanks and bare or minimally furnished tanks. They are definitely calmer in tanks that break the line of sight and may even keep them in line a bit better.
The only way to know is to try, and if it doesn't work, have another tank ready because it will get messy.

Reactions: dr exum and Tony A.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I had a jar 12 years ago in a community grow out setup. Once he got to be 12" he started really terrorizing my 18" silver.. he ended up killing him. Then he took out my spotted gar. After that he took out my peacock bass and other cichlids. Last was the rtc. Eventually he was the only fish left. I read about the aggression and thought, maybe my fish will be different. Nope. I was a inexperienced fish keeper back then, and thought my 220 was a pond. Now I wouldn't even think about mixing a jar with another fish. They are just too agro.

Reactions: dr exum and Tony A.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Jardini are smart fish. Mine is calm . Not spooky at all they are great wet pets. They don't bounce from one fish to the other . He will set his eyes on one fish and give that fish he'll tell it's dead. And mine likes to lay on the bottom of the tank. He's in the middle more then top while cruising . Even though he's a big @$$ hole I could not get red of him.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
wish i would have read this before - attempted putting a few of my 5” grow outs with my 10” Jar - Nope....

lasted 2 hours -

i had hoped to keep my jar with my wolf or some bass - don’t think that’s happening -

any other suggestions for co habs are appreciated-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store