Can you see in this photo? is this normal? why my Fig8 Puffer belly is always big?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I have this puffer fish since February 2021. It eats, swims and is a good boy, as he does not fight with other fishes.

today, I visited the fish pet store and I saw that the similar size fig8 puffers in the shop did not have such big belly. I am concerned whether my fig8 is sick? because his belly look exceptionally large to me, or perhaps I am wrong and that is how they are. have you ever had fig8 puffer? if yes, how was the belly? is this normal ? as you can see from the photos. I do not see any lump or any sign of sickness on his belly. it is white and rounded.

even sometimes that I do not feed him for a day or two, his belly does not become small. I do not know what he eats, of course there are plenty of live food, and a lot of snails, but I do not see him during the day eating, perhaps he eats at night?

I greatly appreciate any insight and experience you can share with me.

IMG_5170.jpg
IMG_5167.jpg
IMG_5163.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What did the one at the store look like?
Nothing looks wrong with yours besides it getting a lot to eat. My amazons will stay fat for a bit after large feedings. This guy probably hogs all the food.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
The ones in the store looked like flat belly.
also, my Amazons their belly gets rounded and big only after they eat meal.When they are hungry their bellies are flat. But my figure 8, belly is always big.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The ones in the store looked like flat belly.
also, my Amazons their belly gets rounded and big only after they eat meal.When they are hungry their bellies are flat. But my figure 8, belly is always big.
Probably just always finding something to eat around the tank. As long as he is acting normal I wouldn’t be concerned. The store ones were likely not getting as much to eat.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Yes, there is a lot of snails in the tank, but I have never caught any moment I could see him eat any of them. Maybe he eats in the pitch dark at night.
He poops a lot as well but the belly never looked empty to me, always puffed up.
Here is a photo of him this morning , his poop doesn’t look like the other fishes faeces, it looks more like goat and sheep poop. Does it mean he is always constipated ?
963E2670-F4A1-46D1-AB5E-8346EEEA8492.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Funny story for you, my hairy puffer was looking a bit 'thick', kind of looking like a fatty and I thought that I must be overfeeding. So I started cutting way back on feeding yet he was still looking big. Then one day Im doing a gravel vac on "HIS" tank and start sucking up tons of eggs. Turns out "SHE" was just holding eggs and that is why she looked so fat, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store