Canister filter mod?

caoder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Montreal
I was thinking... isn't one of the limiting factors for biological filtration in canister filters caused by the lack of oxygen in the canister itself. what if you start injecting oxygen into the intake line of the canister. would that promote more BB growth within canisters? With that, you would think that it would even rival wet/drys for biological (well a smaller wet/dry with higher flow). has anyone tried this? I don't know how to test this though... i guess.. you can try to overstock a tank with the same filtration as before but with an injected intake while keeping tabs on ammonia levels.
Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Never introduce air into a pressurized system such as canister. Water enters the canister through siphon and gets pump back into the tank. Introducing oxygen through the intake could cause the siphon to break, damaging your canister. Cavitation would also occur and damage the impeller. Besides, bacteria take oxygen from the water (not directly from the air), as long as your tank surface is agitated constantly, oxygen would reach to the bacteria in the filter.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Never introduce air into a pressurized system such as canister. Water enters the canister through siphon and gets pump back into the tank. Introducing oxygen through the intake could cause the siphon to break, damaging your canister. Cavitation would also occur and damage the impeller. Besides, bacteria take oxygen from the water (not directly from the air), as long as your tank surface is agitated constantly, oxygen would reach to the bacteria in the filter.
^^AGREE^^
I actually tried this and all I was able to do was airlock the pump in the canister. I do, however, have an airstone under the media in my sump, have it there to aid in circulation and noticed a bloom in the bioslime on the bioballs....I dont know for sure if it is directly related to the airstone but who knows....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store