canister filter producing air in tank?

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
does a canister filter produce air in the tank? cuz my powerhead is making my tank look messy with all the bubbles. so just wonderingif i coudl turn it off and if the fish will be okay.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
no their not supposed to do that.. im guessing that it is a new canister? it will take a while for it to develope and will stop with the foaming bubbles in a few more days. just give it time

its nothing that u can just turn off;)

Onikun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Toronto
rock it back and forth and it'll force the bubbles to come out quicker. thats what i do with my eheim. but i think his question is that if he uses the canister will the fish still get oxygen. If you point the spray bar upwards a little bit so the surface is agitated slightly you should be providing enough surface agitation for oxygen exchange

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
ahh.. ok.. just make it to where the current comming out of your filter is disrupting the surface.. kind of like a water fall... but if its a big tank thats not suffecient enough and you should add a air stone IMNSHO

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
does a canister filter produce air in the tank?
No. Only right after setting it up, when air is still trapped in the media. As said above, rock it back and forth and the air will come out.
If you'd like some aeration, though, position the spray bar above the surface.

cuz my powerhead is making my tank look messy with all the bubbles.
Many powerheads have a tube adapter, thru which air is drawn into the powerhead. Just disconnect it or use a plug.

so just wonderingif i coudl turn it off and if the fish will be okay.
You can turn the powerhead off if your canister's spray bar aerates the water fine, if you only have a few fish, or if you have fish that don't have high oxygen requirement.
Never turn your canister off, though, since your bacteria will die within hours.

Happy Fishkeeping,
HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store