Canister Filters & RUGF Idea

KRUNNCH540

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2007
Clearwater, FL
www.RaymondJames.com
So I have been reading throughout the forums for several weeks watching what you people talk about and learning, but I have come up with an idea I wanted to run by you all. If I run 2x Eheim 2217 canisters w/ UV sterilizers and their return going down into a manifold plate below the substrate acting as both a semi-rugf (moving the fish waste up into the water column) and preventing CO2 gas off from surface agitation. Would this work? I will then be pulling the aforementioned floating waste into a AC500 x 1(or 2).

Perhaps the largest flaw I see with the idea is the under gravel manifold will eventually form dirt, but I wonder if the canisters are pumping clean water thru it...will that happen? Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?

BTW..it is a 75G AGA

Thanks,
Kris

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
The only problem I can see with waste in the reverse flow UG plenum would be when you cleaned out the Eheims. You always get a certian amount of crud from the hoses when ever you restart a canister. My wife came up with the idea of tying micron bags to the output hose until the gunk clears out. I don't see any practicle way of doing that with the set up you have in mind however...
The system sounds like it would work although using two UV's on a single 75g is a bit much IMO.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Welcome KRUNNCH540 :headbang2.

First I'll get my opinion out of the way...I don't like forcing all the garbage into suspension so the fish have to 'breathe' it.

Ok, now that's out of the way...Like with any UGF (up or down flow) your going to have dead spots, so the gravel needs to be vacuumed anyway.

Otherwise your idea will work ok.

I take it this is a planted tank? If your worried about surface aggitation keep the water level at the return level of the AC500 so there isn't and splashing.

Are the 2 UV's small?

Dr Joe

KRUNNCH540

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2007
Clearwater, FL
www.RaymondJames.com
Yes, the tank will be planted, but light to medium amount. The idea wasn't to negate the need for vacuuming gravel (recently bought a Python to make that easier *hehe*), but to help with the vacuuming. You see when I vacuum with my Python, it doesn't suck the VERY large long turds my pleco is leaving around. It kind of swirls them around in the tube. I was hoping with the under gravel current, it would push these long turds up into the column for the stronger suction AC500's to suck in. Is perhaps my Python not working/sucking correctly?

I currently in my 29 keep the water just high enough for my 2 HOBs not to cause any surface agitation, but merely was throwing out an idea I have thought in theory sounds great for the up and coming 75.

Thanks,
Kris

P.S. Thanks for welcoming me in, it is great to have a place where I can browse for answers without having to buy several books for the same answer. Not that books don't provide sound answers...sometimes experience speaks louder.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
I'm sure you'll be a benefit to the forum.

Never be afraid of asking a question here.

Careful the AC500's impellers don't clog.

Are you just letting the python syphon or are you running the faucet water for extra suction (at least for the heavy stuff)?

Don't forget to keep us posted with pix (a great way for :newbie: to learn too).

Dr Joe

KRUNNCH540

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2007
Clearwater, FL
www.RaymondJames.com
Normally, I just turn the faucet on and let it start sucking the water. I never actually initiate suction with the Python. I cannot think of any other way to get these things out of the tank. It appears as though they are more heavy than the gravel it self. It sucks up the gravel and sand just fine, but when it comes to these 3-4" turds, they just swirl and swirl like a toilet with bad suction.

Perhaps if I start suction with the Python and then turn the faucet on?

Thanks,
Kris

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
When I had my tank maintaince servace years ago I took an old in-line pump and an ocean clear canister and made a portable power gravil vac. You could do the same thing with an unused canister filter.

KRUNNCH540

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2007
Clearwater, FL
www.RaymondJames.com
This is kind of off topic and I have been thinking about it all day...bored at my cubicle.... Which is better for my freshwater 75 tank? A megaflow sump (my tank has built in MF) or a couple eheim canisters? I won't necessarily buy the megaflow sump tank, but basically build a mock of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store