Canister Filters??!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I am going to be doing a large South American Amazonian display tank that will have Myleus silverdollars, red tail barracudas, severum, chocolate, and angelfish. I am at the filtration part of the planning. I should first start by saying that I have NEVER had a canister filter before. I have never used one.
I have heard that canister filters work the best and are good for freshwater tanks. What is everyone's opinion on canister filters? How hard are they to clean than HOB filters and what do they need?
Would a canister and a few HOB filters be good filtration on the tank?
Ive had hob (aquaclear) cansiters (Eheim and fx) and sumps. By far i would choose the sump 1st hands down no questions about. A well though out sump will provide you with the eaiest level of maintenance, endless options and tons of room for bio.

2nd i would choose a bunch of AC110s good filters moves decent wster but limited in the ammount of bio.

3 rd eheim 2262 great can holds allot of bio but still has a limit.

Last fx6...hated it garbage...maintenance was a real pain with all the foam pads and imo doesnt hold allot of bio

There are literally endless options with sumps and overflows...the best thing you can do is check out some old threads in the DIY section. Also watch a few King of DIY videos on you tube. He has several detailed videos explaining sumps and how to build them and set them up. J jaws7777 Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis here we go again!
Hahaha ......lets dance !

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Of course when it comes to canisters you should also include your budget for them. For example an Eheim 2262 is an amazing filter that holds a ton of media and has great flow and you couldn't go wrong with that filter. However not everyone has $400+ to shell out for a single filter. Where as the FX6 you can get on Amazon for $240 or two AC110s for $160.

While fish keeping is a rather expensive hobby and no matter what route you go you'll have to spend a couple hundred bucks on filtration alone, most of us still do have to be realistic and stay within budgets :)

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
Current I run Aquaclears 110s, fx-5, ehiem 2262 on my 220. Like the 2262 the best, tons of media in it and great flow. The Aquaclears you can cram a lot of media as well. The Fx-5 would be my least also. For such a big filter I would think you could put more in it then just what you can in the baskets.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I agree with others that a sump is the best option. Takes more time and effort during initial set up, but easier and quicker to maintain in the long run. I spend about 1-2 minutes a week to replace a filter sock, and that's it. If you choose to steer away from a sump, I'd recommend an Eheim 2262 (if budget allows) with an Aquaclear 110 for secondary filtration as long as your 180 won't be greatly overstocked. Also, I believe a properly set up sump is no more of a risk than other filtration choices when it comes to power outages.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I live in a place where the power goes out constantly during the summer (but for like, a few minutes at a time) so even with a properly setup up sump, I'd still be nervous as it happens throughout the day and I work during the day. Thus I only have Canisters and HOB filters on my two 125 Gallons. Had an FX5 years ago so have an FX6 now, easy to setup, easy to clean (for a canister), I then picked up some SunSun 304B (under $100 a pop shipped and can jam full of media).

Also, for the stock you want, the Angelfish are supposed to be feeders for the Barracuda right?
I really hate to disagree, but as was mentioned, a properly setup sump can handle power outages without issue. For instance, my 55gal sump on my 220 tank can handle all of the backflow when the power goes out. In fact, I usually start my water changes with turning the power off and letting it backflow for a few minutes. I then fill my tank back up until it drains enough into my sump to fill it up, and then it's good to go for the next week.

Another benefit I forgot to mention about sumps is their price point. I got my 55gal tank for $40, then my baffles for another $40, another $50ish for media, and then $200 for my Jebao DCP 8000's combined. I've added some additional items but in total, my sump was well under $400 and I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against two $400 Eheims or Fluvals any day. Plus, I can still continue to customize it how I like in the future.

I'm short, you have a 180, which is the same footprint as my 220, just shorter in height. If you put a 55 under it as a sump, and drill it for overflows, you will be extremely glad you did. It will definitely take some more time to initially setup, but maintenance from there on out will be much easier.

SUMP IT!!!

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Oh I'm well aware that a properly setup sump could handle power outages just fine. My point was that since these outages occur during the daytime when I'm at work, I'd worry myself into one big giant stress ball until I could get home to actually verify.

For example my reef tank is using a sump and I have never had issues with it. But it's what I consider a smaller tank and it's drilled so I don't stress too badly - still stress and always will.

As for the debate of sumps verse canisters/HOBs for me any large tank (300 gallons plus) there really isn't an option, you go sump. For smaller tanks you have options and one of those is a canister filter. You have to decide for yourself which route you want to take and then once you decide that you still have options on how you want to go (different brands, models, media setup, etc.).

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Maintain is the key for me. Cleaning cans never bothered me....until it did lol

I literally would never use a can over a sump long term just because of the simple task of swapping out filter socks over squeezing out foam pads infact my 75 gal im using an ac110 BUT did have a sump on it. Havent gotten around to setting it up and may not as its just a grow out tank

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
I've got both on my 150g and the sump is honestly the easiest to clean and seems to outperform the canister. I also like that I can have my heaters in the sump and can very easily change things up if I want/need to.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Maintain is the key for me. Cleaning cans never bothered me....until it did lol

I literally would never use a can over a sump long term just because of the simple task of swapping out filter socks over squeezing out foam pads infact my 75 gal im using an ac110 BUT did have a sump on it. Havent gotten around to setting it up and may not as its just a grow out tank
You know I'm with you jaws...sumps on everything! I freaking hate messing with canister filters and HOB's. Plus a sump just plain does a better job. I figure I owe it to my fish to give them the best environment possible.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
You know I'm with you jaws...sumps on everything! I freaking hate messing with canister filters and HOB's. Plus a sump just plain does a better job. I figure I owe it to my fish to give them the best environment possible.
Im drawing up plans on the betta bowl sump as we speak lmao

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store