Canister or not to Canister that is the Question!

PACUMAN

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2006
Ohio
HI! :newbie: here! So lets get the flaming over with, Any ways, been doin the fish hobby for a while now. But I just purchased a 125 gallon Tank, I want to go canister filter, and was wanting to know everyones opinions on this, pros? cons?. I have always used Marineland Emperor 400's up to this point. Should Just get 2 of those instead of the canister? I was looking at the Magnum 350 pro set up, bUt I would still need to add a back of tank filter to comp. for the lack of flow. I have 3 very large Pacu's (salad plate size) and a large Pink and brown spotted catfish that will be going in there, and a handfull of community fish for color. Any help would be appreciated.

throttle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have a 125 reef ready that I built a sump for out of a 20 gallon tank that I had sitting around. IMO wet/dry filters are the way to go on any large tank. Canisters are more of a pain to tear down when you clean. With my sump all I do is pull out the batting and replace it. It only takes 5 minutes. Also you can customize your sump for what you want. With canisters you are limited.

Jbol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
Washington
I have a Magnum 350 with bio wheels and if you install it correctly not to hard to clean I love it. I also use three powerheads for underground and a aquaclear 100 I believe, that sits on the back. I put carbon in the magnum and aquaclear. Is there such a thing is having to much carbon in a tank? 125 gal. My water seems to stay very clean with these three systems haven't done a water change in over a month doing one today.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I have never had anything but canisters. That leads to two conclusions:
1) I have no clue about wet/dry
2) I don't have to have a clue about wet/dry because canisters (Eheim only) have been working great for me all these years. :grinyes:

Currently, I run an Eheim 2080 on my 220 gal. No problems.

Welcome to MFK,
HarleyK (aka Canister Man)

PACUMAN

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2006
Ohio
anyone else have input? thanks to those that have responded!

Ducati996

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
NY
I have two suggestions - either go with 2 Aqua Clear 110 (formally 500)

or one Fluval FX5.....

The two Aqua Clears are the inexpensive option...

The rest is up to you to decide

Duc

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
I have two older Fluval 403's on my 125 gallon setup for africans and love them. I've had them for about 6 years. I have a 240 gallon I'm setting up and plan on using two fluval 404's. My plan was to put 2 aquaclear 110's with them. I'm now contemplating try a wet/dry as the addition but really don't have a clue how they work. I also have aquaclears on other tanks and like them as well. So, :clap :clap To the fluvals and aquaclears from me.

Oh, and welcome to MFK! Good people, good info. Pretty new here myself.

Dave

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
i use a eheim wet dry canistor and a pro 2 on one tank with other goodies this solves my wet dry problem not enough room for a large open wet dry sump tank.
another tank i run two fluval canistors i set one up with bio material and the second is all mech filtration material

i use 2 magnum 250 hob on both tanks i swap out the inserts depending on what is needed for cleaning meds or just a surface adgitator with the micron filters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store