Canister vs. Sump vs. HOB vs. Sponge....

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have no problem running 2 x Eheim 2217 and 1 x Eheim G160 (2275) on a 240g. I like my tank to be practically dead silent as it is in the living room area where I frequent. HOB's, sump pumps, and sponges (due to air pump) are too noisy for me. I can't stand the low hum of even a wave maker. I added eheim pre-filters that I can clean every other day, and prevent too much detritus and any #20 mesh size sand into the canisters.
Just read this post on Eheim from a plant forum. Plant folks favor canister over any other type of filter, but not me.

I had two Eheim 2028s on my 120 gallon planted tank. Over the years, I've replaced all the seals and rings many times. And over the years I've had the dreaded leak from the power cord area many times. Even the priming ring has been replaced. This is a known issue with these filters.

I got rid of one of them months ago after I was unable to stop the constant trickle from the power cord. Getting rid of it -- and not replacing -- wreaked havoc on my tank and I've been battling algae since. Now the second one has developed the constant slow trickle.

It usually starts when you turn off the filter for maintenance or if there's any type of back pressure. And the trickle is slow. But I'm done.

The only thing worse than hearing water alarms go off in the middle of the night is having your roommate call you in the middle of the night because of them -- while you're on vacation. I hear the sound of those water alarms in my nightmares sometimes. Seriously, I don't want to have to deal with this any more, and even if I could get this to stop, I don't care.

They lasted quite a few years...but getting parts from Eheim was not always easy. They failed to respond to emails and phone calls on more than one occasion. And on a couple of other occasions, they sent parts the slowest possible way, while my tank (and I) were in distress.

Can you recommend a rock solid canister filter that will fit under a 120 gallon (4x4x2)? Something NOT known for having leaking issues. Long-lived, easy to change filter media. Good flow rate. I also have a Koralia for flow if that's helpful. I'm open to all suggestions, all prices, all brands. Thanks.
#1heavensabvus1, Oct 28, 2019

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Just read this post on Eheim from a plant forum. Plant folks favor canister over any other type of filter, but not me.

#1heavensabvus1, Oct 28, 2019

The classics don't have the same problem as the 2028. This is an old model that was replaced by the 2075 (then G3-160, and now G4), sometime around 2011-2012 so parts are no longer available. Some retailers stocked up on parts before they were no longer made. Eheim can't help them find new parts. What I don't see the person replacing is the flow indicator (you can't buy the indicator o-ring separately). Flow control indicators haven't been available since 2013. With any old non longer supported models, eventually you can't get parts.

With items still under warranty, I was able to get great service from eheim and found the right parts.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Not just Eheim, it's a generic problem with all canisters as long as there are external plumbing, connectors and O ring susceptible to leak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store