Can't Decide Which Lungfish to Get!

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
So I'm about to get a lungfish and I just can't decide which species I want. Right now I'm between a Marbled, a West African, and a South American (I would love an Australian but the price tag is too high right now).

Tank size is not an issue. I also plan on keeping it alone in its own tank, since I've read several accounts of even SAL's getting aggressive, and I'm an overly cautious pacifist when it comes to my fish and don't want to take any chances.

So my question is for the people that have kept them before - which species has the best personality? Which species was most enjoyable for you and why? Thanks!

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
my WAL is the very relaxed & chill and not aggressive at all.
actually its the chillest fish i have lol.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
I have a SAL.
Really relaxed and chilled fish.
Completely ignores the other fish in the tank

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
SAL is not at all aggressive. All African tend to get violent. My understanding is an AUL never is but good luck finding one.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
SAL is not at all aggressive. All African tend to get violent. My understanding is an AUL never is but good luck finding one.
Yeah that's pretty much what I've heard. I would love an AUL but seems they're hard to come by and when you find them they're $2k or more

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
nah I ended up holding off. Was having trouble finding a juvenile, could only find them at like 18" or larger, and I'm always a fan of watching my fish grow. Instead I got a bunch more polys and a giraffe nose cat lol. A WAL or SAL will be my next fish though, 100%, might just be 6 months or so

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
nah I ended up holding off. Was having trouble finding a juvenile, could only find them at like 18" or larger, and I'm always a fan of watching my fish grow. Instead I got a bunch more polys and a giraffe nose cat lol. A WAL or SAL will be my next fish though, 100%, might just be 6 months or so
That's awesome. It has been fun seeing your polys. Yesss to lung fish in the future :)

Reactions: ShanerBock888
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store