Caquetaia: Big and Beautiful ... and Not Umbies!!!

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Great genus, even before they added umbies to it.

Lovely Caquetaia's! That myersi is stunning!
I agree, though the spectabilis are still my fav of the lot ... I think the blue/orange calls back childhood memories of catching pumpkinseeds.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Beautyfull Caquetaia's Jim!

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Lovely Caquetaia's! That myersi is stunning!
Yes, they're quite something.

Very interesting:)
:thumbsup:

Great genus, even before they added umbies to it.
I agree, though the spectabilis are still my fav of the lot ... I think the blue/orange calls back childhood memories of catching pumpkinseeds.
I don't see umbriferum as a good fit in this genus. But I guess that those that know, know.

Beautyfull Caquetaia's Jim!
Thanks Miguel

Beautiful fish.
Thankyou. I do enjoy them.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
wonderful Jim ! I have a few kraussi's they are certainly interesting and I honestly think they are just as aggressive as any other fish. My large male bites my finger all the time and im scared to put my hand in the tank ! Heres a photo ( bad one ) of my large male ( I think it is male)

DSC03520.JPG

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Myrsi looks so nice.

I wonder if they get nuchal hump

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
wonderful Jim ! I have a few kraussi's they are certainly interesting and I honestly think they are just as aggressive as any other fish. My large male bites my finger all the time and im scared to put my hand in the tank ! Heres a photo ( bad one ) of my large male ( I think it is male)
A very nice fish. They are kind of "in your face" aggressive. Nothing shy about them.

Myrsi looks so nice.

I wonder if they get nuchal hump
Yes, I agree, they're a very striking fish. I don't know if you've seen the thread from jweav. His myersi is absolutely spectacular and it does have a nuchal hump of sorts. At the least the fish is pretty beefy. Here's a pic of his fish (Jon, I hope you don't mind)
Presentation2.jpg

Jim,

What would you suggest as a minimum tank size for each of them if one was trying to get a group to pair out?
Well, if not at full size you could probably get away with a 90-120G for a group of 6, say. The best arrangement is to grow out the group in a community setting with other cichlids that can take care of themselves. It will help to establish and keep their pair bond intact.

Presentation2.jpg

cichlidmayhem

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2011
Stoney creek, Ontario, Canada
I think that's a female.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jweav

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2010
frederickburg, virginia
Jim your Caquetaia's are looking amazing:headbang2 Must be pretty cool keeping these 3 species at the same time. It would be nice to see these three species become more popular because they our awesome fish in their own rights. I look forward to owning some Kraussi someday. I need more tanks;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store