MFK Member
Apr 11, 2009
port aransas texas
wow... i need a bigger tank...

southern creature

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2009
australia
While I'm a bit late to the Megalodon debate I have a few thoughts I'd like to share on the topic.
It is true the discovery of the Coelocanth (amongst others... e.g. the Mega Mouth Shark) was exciting and creates great wonder and to some minds no limit of possibility. It is 1stly important to recognize neither of these fish are predators and individually they live within a very small geographic range. The family Carcharodon simply are great predators and an individual could never be limited in range in such a fashion, this should result in a good number of sightings but this is not my major point.
I would how ever like to point out the issue of size, that is a Great White is approx two thirds the size of a Megalodon and this is not the 1st time this measure has occurred between an ancient animal and it's contemporary cousin(s). E.g. the modern crocodile is two thirds smaller than it's prehistoric relative(s), the recently discovered Titanoboa fossil (giant Anaconda) suggests a great size variation but of only half. However this creature is relatively new by comparison to the "giant croc" Sarcosuchus and comes from the (so far as we know) Paleocene Epoch, this is much more recent than the Megalodons arrival.
Why is this important to my views? Well the climate/environment changes (in fact Barack Obama is about to leave Copenhagen as I type!!! Yawn) and the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere was much greater 200 million years ago (Megalodons/Sarcosuchus' time) than it was 55 million years ago during Titanoboa's time. This becomes relevant as the amount of oxygen (also food supply among other factors) available is relative to the size of the animal (fish keepers know this).
So lots of oxygen equals large crocs and sharks (even bigger whales) and less oxygen smaller crocs, sharks, snakes, whales, elephants even kangaroos. This remains constant i.e. because giant kangaroos were not around 200 million years ago they were never so big. This theory can be observed mostly in insects as their existence has been continuous (since before dinosaurs) and by comparison they are two thirds smaller today.
So this raises the question. Is the great White simply the Megaladon in miniature? They have of cause become separate species however following this thought it is unlikely that the Megalodon exists today.
While this suits my thinking and reduces the Megalodon to a mere few fossil teeth (very important when you live in Southern Australia). Does this now mean we are looking for a down sized Loch Ness Monster???? lol

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
the ocean is a never ending path... further you go the more creatures you fine. period..... and yes i believe meg still exsists! heck i still believe dinosoars still exsist but we just havent discovered them yet, our planet IS make up of 70% water so there are islands we hanvent discovered yet, so anything could be real..

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
I doubt Megalodon still exists today. It's just like those UFO sightings, there's simply no solid evidence to support it. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see one alive...

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
well has any subs been able to reach the exsact bottom of the ocean, i mean like where they can rest there subs on the sand or whatnot and explore? ( i knoe that would be stupid as the pressure would be so bad for humans ) but have we really built a sub that can withstand the MAX pressure the bottomless ocean has?

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
i dont think so i think only unmanned subs can go down that far but even then im not sure if even those little robotic subs have gone all the way down to the bottom of the marianas trench (sp?) but yeah i forget if this was already mentioned and im not going to go back and read again lol, but i saw this monster hunters episode (i know, i know most their stuff looks like crap) but this one was actually pretty convincing and it was about sitings in the sea of cortez, about fishermen seeing these huge animals just under the surface that were way bigger than anything they had ever seen, and i mean fishermen who are on the ocean every day of their life no their sea critters so they would know if it was something normal, and one guy told story about how he was out in ocean driving full speed in his boat when all sudden they hit something and it stopped them dead like they had hit land, like it ripped his motor apart and everything from the impact and then they saw this huge thing swimming away, and another siting that was from a helicopter when they went on their little search that was shadow in the water that looked massive but it was gone by the time their boat in the water could get to it. im not saying i totally believe megalodon still exists im just saying there is obviously something out there and so you cant really totally write it off i mean we havent even discovered 50% of the life that is thought to exist in the ocean (we havent even discovered all the organisms on land in the jungles so def anything is possible in the depths of the ocean)

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
livebearerfreak;3933495; said:
well has any subs been able to reach the exsact bottom of the ocean, i mean like where they can rest there subs on the sand or whatnot and explore? ( i knoe that would be stupid as the pressure would be so bad for humans ) but have we really built a sub that can withstand the MAX pressure the bottomless ocean has?
I highly doubt megalodon would live that deep in the ocean. It would probably lead a life style similar to that of the white shark.

Sure we have a ton of life to discover, but it's illogical to believe that megalodon still exists. We might as well say moas and thylacines are still alive.

CaptainNegatory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
www.facebook.com
Just Wondering,
How can megladons be extinct? I have two of them in my 75 gallon breeder tank. They do quite well if I keep the turnover at 5 and a 10% water change. Normally I only feed them a few pounds of shrimp.

Next time your travel, when you board your aircraft...picture it being a shark instead of shamu plane...FML.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store