Cariba piranhas with red belly

vosspacer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
Canada
its approx 550 gallons + the sump. I figure to start with 40 I will probably end with 20-30?

i have never kept piranha but i am very experienced with other predatory fish.

my concern is whether it is best to avoid mixing the different species or if the mixing would be ok.
when they are juveniles they will injure one another but you can keep P. Nattereri and P. Cariba together along with P. piraya. They are all Pygo’s and Very closely related. Caribe are known to take off fingers like I said and “can” be more aggressive than Red Belly. The Caribe is called Donkey Castrator for a good reason. I wish you luck.

Video of Both Species with Partition :P.Cariba and RBP

Last edited:

vosspacer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
Canada
Well I just asked a person on another fish forum about it and they said no, the Cariba and RBP should be kept as single species only. ? I’m awaiting an explanation, but I assume it has death involved..

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i had 2 - terns, 2 piraya, 2caribe, 2 super reds, 2 reds for quite some time... as a mixed pygo tank...

pygo mixed with pygo good -

pygo mixed with anything else - risky

Reactions: BigShawn

Thepiranhaguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2019
England, UK
www.instagram.com
Hi

i am fairly experienced with keeping different fish but have never kept piranhas

I have done some research. is it ok to mix cariba juveniles with red bellys?

i can see cariba are more aggressiv.

note it will be a big group In a 2500 litre tank.

if not mixing then which would you personally recommend out of the two and why.

thanks
Great question as I see a lot of confusion about this.

The Caribe makes up one of a group of Piranha that most refer to as Pygos or Pygocentrus. The group would include the Red Bellies, the Caribe, the Ternetzi and the Piraya; all of which can live with one another, certainly when around the same size.

The Piraya can grown significantly lager over time so be careful there but Caribe and Red Bellies will mature to roughly the same size, so as long as the tank space is sufficient, water conditions and filtration in order and they are well fed, you should have no problems ?

Reactions: BigShawn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store