Carnivorous plants

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Nice find! Our local equivalent of Home Depot sporadically gets some nice looking Nepenthes, someone out there must be growing them semi-commercially.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Lucky. The only local place that I've found them is Lowes, in the little Death Cubes.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
You guys are making me want to see if I can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Lucky. The only local place that I've found them is Lowes, in the little Death Cubes.
I avoid those things like the plague! I've never succeeded in keeping one alive.

Wow Chix, it's so pretty!! It's times like these I wish I wasn't death to plants... :/
Thanks! They're really not that hard. All you have to do is set them in a sunny window, give them proper soil and make sure they never go dry. I set them in a little try that holds water so that the water leeches into the soil and keeps it moist. I've had great luck in the past raising plants like that. For the soil, see the link below...

You guys are making me want to see if I can find one.

You should totally do it! They're really cool and interesting. Not hard to care for either, unless you buy a really exotic species anyway.

I've historically gotten my plants from the Carnivorous Plant Nursery (click it, not Vigilink). They're an honest company that produces a sound product and they provide good customer service. They also have specially formulated soils that closely replicate the natural soils of several different types of plant. I first got into carnivorous plants with a Wal Mart VFT that was nothing really special. Once I put it into the CP soil, it underwent an amazing period of explosive growth. I highly recommend those guys.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I avoid those things like the plague! I've never succeeded in keeping one alive.

Thanks! They're really not that hard. All you have to do is set them in a sunny window, give them proper soil and make sure they never go dry. I set them in a little try that holds water so that the water leeches into the soil and keeps it moist. I've had great luck in the past raising plants like that. For the soil, see the link below...

You should totally do it! They're really cool and interesting. Not hard to care for either, unless you buy a really exotic species anyway.

I've historically gotten my plants from the Carnivorous Plant Nursery (click it, not Vigilink). They're an honest company that produces a sound product and they provide good customer service. They also have specially formulated soils that closely replicate the natural soils of several different types of plant. I first got into carnivorous plants with a Wal Mart VFT that was nothing really special. Once I put it into the CP soil, it underwent an amazing period of explosive growth. I highly recommend those guys.
I would need to research what ever I decide to keep. I'm definitely going to check out that site if I do buy one I might just start with a VFT and see how it goes.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
You guys gave me an itch I had to scratch. Went in Barnes & Noble today looking for a zelda strategy book and came across a grow your own VFT for $6. I count resist and will be potting it later tonight. Hopefully soon I will have a nice VFT to post pics of.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I would need to research what ever I decide to keep. I'm definitely going to check out that site if I do buy one I might just start with a VFT and see how it goes.

You guys gave me an itch I had to scratch. Went in Barnes & Noble today looking for a zelda strategy book and came across a grow your own VFT for $6. I count resist and will be potting it later tonight. Hopefully soon I will have a nice VFT to post pics of.

Awesome! I feel its fair to give you a warning that a lot of guys have no luck getting their VFT seeds to do anything. Don't get discouraged if they never germinate.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Awesome! I feel its fair to give you a warning that a lot of guys have no luck getting their VFT seeds to do anything. Don't get discouraged if they never germinate.
Oh ok well that's better then finding out late and getting disappointed. Seems like when I'm not looking i find them. Just found a bunch in Walmart but they are small. The guy told me that they haven't sold one so I told him to put 3 up for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store