Carpintis Rio Hondo vs. Escondido

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Many years ago, I had a beautiful pair (not regular texas) of what looked to be Escondido. This was before I knew what I was doing and I got lucky at a lfs - didn't know how good I had it, as they were beautiful. I purchased a Rio Hondo Carpintis (pic below) from COTA that while not mature, seems more blue than the iridescent green I remember. I may have incorrectly assumed it would be basically the same thing. Escondido 8-6-2016.JPG Am I seeing the difference in specific individual fish, or are others seeing the same thing? Please share pics, if you have them.

Reactions: RD. and BlesOne

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
May be the lighting? I've seen photos and vids of some Carpintis that do appear to be really blue instead of the bluish green that is more typical of the species.

These Rio Verde for instance:

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Many years ago, I had a beautiful pair (not regular texas) of what looked to be Escondido. This was before I knew what I was doing and I got lucky at a lfs - didn't know how good I had it, as they were beautiful. I purchased a Rio Hondo Carpintis (pic below) from COTA that while not mature, seems more blue than the iridescent green I remember. I may have incorrectly assumed it would be basically the same thing. View attachment 1241678 Am I seeing the difference in specific individual fish, or are others seeing the same thing? Please share pics, if you have them.
Nice, do you still have him? I picked up a few from my lfs, sold to me as Carpintis, I think I have a male & female

20170313_210815.jpg

20170313_123357.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Am I seeing the difference in specific individual fish, or are others seeing the same thing? Please share pics, if you have them.
Differences in individual fish, lighting, cameras, etc. Today there are so many variants available, some of them coming from within the same watershed, such as Escondido, and Chairel.

Reactions: cichlidfish

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with RD, beyond individual difference, age and lighting, Chairel and Escondido are ponds/ lagoons almost within a stones throw of each other. So expecting one to drastically different because of the name is a bit misdirected.

H carpintus Chairel above.
H tamasopoensus below

young Escondido below

Reactions: dogofwar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store