Cat tricks!

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Recently (past 2 weeks) I was able to teach my cat to sit, but now I am having trouble getting him to shake... Any ideas? I either give him a piece of cat food, or a treat when he does things right.

I put the treat out in front of his head(while he's sitting), and then I "grab" his paw.

The only difference I have noticed between training my dog and cat is that my cat's attention span is MUCH less than the dog's. I was able to teach my dog to stick her paws up the air in a week, but it has taken two to teach my cat to sit :)

Can any of your cats do "tricks"?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
my cat sits on command..if im offering food she turns her head away from it and does not look at it until i say ok ^_^
she sits pretty (on her butt front paws up) when asked
all of my cats are trained to stand up at a door and ask to be let out.

my cat knows the words "out" means GTFO of any room she is in when i say it....she knows the word in..when she is allowed out side in the yard with us to get her back in when we do I say " get in the house!" and she comes running..mostly cuz i used to chase her with the hose when she would hide from us out side..>.>.

I have a very trainable cat though...if you have treats her attention span lasts as long as the treats.

the new kitten is coming along fast as well.already picked up on asking out..sitting for food and even looking away when food is offered.

I think it took me a few days for each trick..the key is doing it every day every time.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
CATS dont like their feet touched , usually ...."shaking hands" might be tough...I know there are execptions.....

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
CATS dont like their feet touched , usually ...."shaking hands" might be tough...I know there are execptions.....
Yeah, I had to skip on the shake... He would give me an evil look when I went for his paw :)

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, I had to skip on the shake... He would give me an evil look when I went for his paw :)

some cats dont hate it but....its a self defense thing cats in the wild cant hunt if their paws get hurt ...thats what I am told it comes from.

fatcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2008
SoCal
I had my cat a very long time, I never taught it tricks, but he learned how to flip me off with his tail, I thought that was pretty cool.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I had my cat a very long time, I never taught it tricks, but he learned how to flip me off with his tail, I thought that was pretty cool.
CAN YOU POST A PIC???? that would be cool

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
love to see a video.........

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
You might wanna try teaching him to give his paw first with a target, like a toy that he usually bats around. Give a simple voice command, when he touches it, give a treat. Then move on to using the command with your hand. And yes, he needs to be used to having his feet touched. I've played with my cats paws since they were kittens and they all like it. You can teach an older cat by rubbing the top of their feet gently here and there while they're laying on you relaxed.

I've taught cats tricks before, and yes they have a very small attention span. Best not to do training sessions with them, but to just do stuff here and there while feeding and playing. They are at attention most when feeding. Notice if you open a can of food or something they're there immediately, so use that time to teach stuff. I used to have my cats sit and do other stuff before I sat the food down for them to eat. That's when they're generally most motivated. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store