Catching ray poo without media??? Yup.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
And I thought 3" pluming was monster.... lol.

I'm jealous of anyone that has a cone bottomed tank....... :(

What kind of flow's running through that thing CJ????

Uniseals on there?

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
yes, those are uniseals..I was skeptical when I first saw them but they work great..even through the round surface.the 650 has a 4000gph and the 480 has a reeflo dart gold..around 3500 I think..so with restrictions, I would guess 5500gph? fairly quickly I would say.most likely why the flow isn't allowing the poo to settle. I will continue to tinker with it..next thing i'll try is surrounding the return with jap mat and stainless steel 200 micron screen.. I was told through the grapevine that a certain aeronotical engineer recommended it so I will try it..any other ideas mr.dragon?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I always wanted to try some of that screen!!! Wanted to do several drawers, getting finer and finer in each drawer.

I thought brushes would be an alright idea in that application, but I bet the screen would be the easiest to clean by far.

Have you tried anything bigger then 10" diameter for the tube inside? I only have a few inches between the water softener barrell and the side of the 55 gallon drums.... Guessing that softener tube is 15" or 16" diameter. Maybe larger diameter would slow it down a bit?

Thanks for sharing!!!!! Love seeing other's creations!!! :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Hi Al is this the same as a swirl filter?
I'd guess a swirl filter sounds to be more the vortex settling chamber type design, but I could be wrong (which I am on a regular basis)

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I'd guess a swirl filter sounds to be more the vortex settling chamber type design, but I could be wrong (which I am on a regular basis)

Great thanks Any chance you could put up a drawing of the schematic or could I contact you for one? I really like this idea. thanks

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Bump! A fellow ray keeper would like to look into DEEZ things...... lol.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
wtf... i would like to see a full schematic and view of this... this looks awesome... im always trying to increase my filtration... just dont know how!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
instructions unclear, got my dick stuck in the microwave
Sounds like you might need a new hobby........ Maybe a new super hero too?

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
sorry to revive this thread. I want to do this with my 700 gallon build. Is your overflow from the display tank simply gravity fed? I was hoping to do a bean animal type over flow and was wondering if it would still work.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store