caterpillars

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Waxworms and Hornworms make great snacks for a lot of fish. I’ve offered numerous cichlids and catfish them as treats and they always greedily accept my offerings.

Reactions: latapy10

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Tent caterpillars. Snap off the branch, rip the tent open and shake vigorously over the pond. Instant feeding frenzy. Your tree will thank you as well.

Reactions: latapy10

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Aren’t many caterpillars poisonous? Not sure if fish are simply immune, though I’d assume you could easily rule out if the one being fed to the fish is toxic or not.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Aren’t many caterpillars poisonous? Not sure if fish are simply immune, though I’d assume you could easily rule out if the one being fed to the fish is toxic or not.
No, for the US, only the brightly colored fuzzy ones are venomous, black brown and white are usually safe except for the one that looks like it's made out of a wig. And then monarchs but I hope to God you're not planning on using endangered species as feeders. Tent moths and army worms are environmentally detrimental, plentiful, and make good fish food. You'll only really start getting into actually poisonous caterpillars if you find the caterpillars of exotic butterflies in the rainforests of south america or whatever.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
No, for the US, only the brightly colored fuzzy ones are venomous, black brown and white are usually safe except for the one that looks like it's made out of a wig. And then monarchs but I hope to God you're not planning on using endangered species as feeders. Tent moths and army worms are environmentally detrimental, plentiful, and make good fish food. You'll only really start getting into actually poisonous caterpillars if you find the caterpillars of exotic butterflies in the rainforests of south america or whatever.
Okay gotcha! Just making sure!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store