Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2012
NYC
I have a 180 that has:
8 Silver dollar
1 pearsei chiclid (soon to arrive)
1 senegal bicher

I'd like to add 1-2 active catfish. Any suggestions? I was looking at Elongatus SN but am hearing these are more fun with a larger shoal and I don't think I have the space for 4 - 5.

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
By active do you mean catfish that are out and about at all times, or out during feeding? If out and about at feeding times, I'd look a Synodontis decorus, or S. angelicus. All the time, maybe Pimadellas for some sort. I've always been a fan of P. pictus.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
With the tank mates you have, including the relatively peaceful cichlid I would agree that a small group of pim Pictus would make an interesting addition if your wanting something on show.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Another issue aside of the Pearsei growing a massive size is how will you feed the Senegal if you added a group of catfish.

Reactions: rvadog

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
LSN would be ok with 1, 2 or 3. Pimelodus genus - pictus, blochii, ornatus. Bolt catfish maybe. Smaller Doradids like mouse catfish, black top mouse catfish, Hassar, Doras genus. Smaller Bagridae, such as Mystus genus. Heptapterus genus, such as Rhamdia, Pimelodella genus. Schilbe family, grasscutter catfish. Silurids, such as Ompok genus. Suncat aka escipse, as a group. Synodontis. Larger Corydoras; maybe Splendes blochis. Hoplo catfish. Smaller bullhead. Smaller giraffe catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store