Catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
RTC personality can vary, especially depending on the tank size. Do you mean a laxed, sedentary half the time, not predatory but mouthy, bulky catfish?

IDK if there one just like an RTC. RTC is the only species in its genus.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It would seem smaller and medium size catfish are not normally interactive with a keeper but maybe others will prove me wrong.

So you'd like a trainable, active catfish with the max size of 18-20"?

Reactions: Raka and tlindsey

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Some hemibagrus have the personality and are trainable but realistically some won’t stop at 20” their whole life. Some of the girraffe cats again have personality and are trainable, although making sure you don’t get a 3ft one is again not guaranteed.
Liearius are personable and trainable but size will be the issue.
As Victor says, most of the personable and trainable cats tend to be so personable because of their size and most exceed that 20” mark at some point, a number of years down the line.
Lima shovelnose may become personable and trainable with age but not tried with mine and they are not a bulky fish.
Passing on to someone a personable and trained larger fish is obviously easier than passing on a brute or at least on the side of finding a home, it will of course be much harder on you as these fish do become one of the family.
The alternative is something none catfish, such as a giant gourami or puffer.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think lima shovelnose fits the bill well. Two caveats are - half tops out at 12" and half at 20" and it seems unpredictable and that it is a slim built catfish... but mine do well with the CA and SA cichlids, no problems noted.

Let me think some more if I can suggest any other that'd be a good fit. Schilbe (grasscutter) family, Ompok genus come to mind too but these may be on the smaller side Wyckii and apurensis would be perfect in terms of interaction but awful in all other regards.

Fishman Dave Fishman Dave aka Mr. Catfish MatchMaker :) would you think of bolt catfish as a possible match?

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Maybe a little on the smaller side (12 -14”) but good call. ?
IIRC i lost mine at 15"-16"... I'd have to check to be sure.

What about Calophysus macropterus?
It'd be another good one but these like and need more swimming room and females get to 24"+. One would have to roll the dice on getting a smaller growing male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store