Catla catla in 4500 gal, ~1', has anyone kept them?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Shovelnose from Planet Catfish (aka Balaji) sent me a picture of the Catla catla filtering apparatus that he took on a trip in India. He says the specimen was about 2.5 - 3 feet TL. I assume it was caught by commercial fishermen.

I find it interesting to see what looks like glass minnows stuck in it but I don't know if the fish fed on them or they ended up in its mouth accidentally when all the fish were crammed together being netted out.

Catla catla, inside mouth, from Balaji.JPG

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
I used to have an obsession with carp for a few years and i had a few Catla catla along with some Siamese giant carp and a few other species and they were the most aggressive ones in the tank(right next to the mahseers LOL. they used to ram into the other carps which resulted in scale loss and a few deaths....considering the size of your tank, i think your specimen might be fine.
one thing to keep in mind is that these fish get skinny FAST! and they require constant feeding. my catlocarpio siamensis and catla catlas had a hard time competing for food especially with all the other fast barb/carp species in there with him. i had to feed hem multiple times a day for them not to get a curved belly...
as for temps, i think you already know that tropical temps are the best for them. mine also exclusively ate pellets

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
tankmates i had with the were
1 malayan trout
1 bighead carp
1 probarbus jullieni
2 catlocarpio siamensis
1 putitora
1 hampala barb
1 phoenix barb
1 cyprocarpus
1 percocyprus pingi (also showed slight signs of aggression)
1 gymnocypris sp
1 ryukin koi hybrid
2 bangana behri
1 small common carp
and a few others i cant quite seem to remember
all were around 20-30 cm.

the tank wasnt too big. it was a simple 1800cmX60cmX60cm setup. used a sump setup. not too big on deco, so was mostly bare except for red sand that i used to have for polypterus. didnt dwell to much on water parems tho. they werent that sensitive

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA